boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Help: need to switch up our car seat situation

We have an '08 Toyota Sienna with three kids (8,6, and 3 yo) with twins on the way. I am planning on having the twins in the 2nd row in infant carriers, and so the other three will have to fit in the 3rd row. DS (8 yo) is currently in a backless Amp, and I have done the 5 pt test on him, so I think he can go without. DD1 is currently in a Frontier SICT harnessed, and that seat is monstrous, so there is NO WAY it is fitting in three 3rd row. Dd2 is in a Britax Pavillion.

So, I need to figure out a seat for DD1. I don't know her exact stats but she is about 40 lb. and about 42 inches tall. Ironically, DD2 is about the same, a couple inches shorter.

I know it's going to be a huge pain for me to buckle and unbuckle kids in the 3rd row, so what seats should I get for DD1 and DD2? DD2 still occasionally falls asleep in her seat, so would a Hbb be sufficient or should I keep her harnessed? DD1 will be 4 soon and am wondering if I should keep her in her current seat or if she could move up to a hbb. She also falls asleep in her seat frequently.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Diono radians are very tall and narrow. Would fit side by side. That is what we use in our third r row. One in lbb, two in radians. My kids can buckle and unbuckle, so I just have to check.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

I would go for a harnessed seat if possible. It is hard to buckle a booster when the end of the seatbelt is between 2 carseats. So much easier to see what you are doing with the harness and easier for the kids to do themselves. We have an evenflo maestro that we have been very happy with. It is a little wider than the radians but also much cheaper. We bought it as a travel seat and DD loved it so much, she used it as her everyday seat.

Quote Originally Posted by rachl500 View Post
    I would go for a harnessed seat if possible. It is hard to buckle a booster when the end of the seatbelt is between 2 carseats. So much easier to see what you are doing with the harness and easier for the kids to do themselves. We have an evenflo maestro that we have been very happy with. It is a little wider than the radians but also much cheaper. We bought it as a travel seat and DD loved it so much, she used it as her everyday seat.
    yeah, I totally agree with you about harnessed seats being easier to buckle than boosters bc it's so hard to find the end. We carpool for school and have three boosters across, and I always have to help the kids buckle up. And it is even hard for me sometimes! We actually have a maestro as our second seat, so I'll see if that and the pavilion will fit with the booster. The only problem is the maestro isn't very tall, but hey, it's worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by boltfam View Post
    yeah, I totally agree with you about harnessed seats being easier to buckle than boosters bc it's so hard to find the end. We carpool for school and have three boosters across, and I always have to help the kids buckle up. And it is even hard for me sometimes! We actually have a maestro as our second seat, so I'll see if that and the pavilion will fit with the booster. The only problem is the maestro isn't very tall, but hey, it's worth a try!
    I reread your post that the harness was for a 6 year old. what about the evenflo secure kid? It is taller than the maestro. And the bubble bum low back helped us get 3 across when the graco turbo booster didn't fit. Good luck!

I finally got around to trying the maestro, amp, and pavilion in the 3rd row, and they fit! Unfortunately, I noticed the maestro expires in March 2017. How did that happen so fast?! I will use it until it expires, but wondering if I should go ahead and get a radian convertible for dd1, and then one of the twins can use it eventually.

If we use the maestro in my van, I will need another seat for dh's car for my 6 yo and 4 yo to be able to ride in to replace the maestro. What should I get? My head is spinning! Honestly, life would be so much easier if car seats didn't expire!
    Last edited by boltfam; 06-27-2016 at 02:02 PM.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There's also the harmony defender and graco tranzitions combination seats which are both just a hair wider than diono and will last longer than maestro or radian