Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default UPDATE IN OP:Grey hair touch up

I hate those grey roots in between color touch ups, though fortunately they are scattered.
    I tried one of those cheap mascara touch ups and it was messy. Yesterday my dd pointed out that there were small black clumps in my scalp from over application  I also need something waterproof.
    Has anyone found a solution to this?

update:
    Dermmatch hairloss concealer works for the grey roots. It stays on until I wash it out 💃🏻
    i use a qtip to clean any excess on my skin, but it's a lot less messy than the clumps from mascara touch-ups! It's pricey but worth it for me.
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 07-03-2016 at 02:26 PM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Percycat is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would like this too....although if I didn't color my originally medium brown, it would be salt/pepper -- mostly salt. I have resigned to color every 3 weeks because I don't like seeing the roots. If I could touch up the grey hair around my face/temples, I could wear my hair differently without a part to avoid seeing roots and prolong the period between colors.

Thanks for reporting about the mascara -- I have been thinking about trying them, but was worried about the application and the mess/residue.

I use Clairol Nice n' Easy Root Touch Up. It's a mini application of permanent home hair dye. I put it along my part, temples and anywhere along my hairline that looks too grey. Wait 10 minutes, rinse out, done.

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I use a spray color from Sally. It's not waterproof, but it's easy to apply.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/root-touc...efault,pd.html
    Last edited by Zansu; 06-29-2016 at 03:27 PM.

I use this. Had really good reviews and I like it so far. I don't think it is waterproof though. Expensive but a little goes a long way. It is only $23 at amazon.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/prod...pprod11061070#
    Last edited by Rainbows&Roses; 06-28-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks. I think I'll try color wow- worth a shot!
    I was hoping to avoid the actual root touch up dye for now since the greys are sparse, but if I go mostly grey that would be worth it.

I use this when I need to http://www.sallybeauty.com/temporary...efault,pd.html
    It is a liquid consistency and has a doe foot applicator (like lip gloss). It blends nicely but not waterproof. It's cheaper at Walgreen, oddly enough! I like that I can co took where it goes better than a spray.

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
    I use this when I need to http://www.sallybeauty.com/temporary...efault,pd.html
    It is a liquid consistency and has a doe foot applicator (like lip gloss). It blends nicely but not waterproof. It's cheaper at Walgreen, oddly enough! I like that I can co took where it goes better than a spray.
    I've never heard of this product or the product the OP ended up buying. I may have to try this one since it isn't super expensive. I hate touching up my roots and this seems like it would be easy to use. The only issue is that I wet my hair every day in the shower even though I don't wash it so I'm wondering if it will wash out with only water. It probably won't be cost effective if I have to use it every day!

I was thinking about trying this product which seems similar to the Color Wow product someone posted. https://www.madison-reed.com/shopping/root-touch-up

I've used Gray Away and I really don't like it. It makes your hair totally stiff. Yuck.

My hair lady colors my whole head twice a year and I do the roots myself in between. I need to do them now and I am dreading it so I am hoping I can find something that will let me stretch the root touch up out a bit longer.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt