mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Deals on macs and what to buy

So the kids school now wants all the kids to have macs. I have no experience with macs, which one should I buy for basic school stuff and when is the best time/place to get a good deal on them?
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love my macbook air. I had the 11 inch and I think the would be fine for school. I upgraded to the 13 inch, but for school use that is not necessary. I don't know that they ever go on sale. I know as a teacher I get like $90 off, so I'd ask and see if they have any kind of discount for students. I can't believe a school expects parents to buy their kids a mac, as they are super expensive (but also super awesome!!). I love my mac, and will never go back to a PC.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I got a discount on a Mac in college, and then again when I bought mine in 2010 because I was a government employee. It was about $100 each time. I might be in the market in the fall and this time we are looking at the Mac Book Air or MacBook (yes they have a non air Mac Book again, but it is more $) and probably in the 13" range as well.

Tha Apple discount only applies to college students.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-30-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm not a Mac person, so no advice about specific models (although I'm surprised that the school didn't provide more guidelines). But I recently looked into the Apple educational discount program, because DGD1 needs an iPad for middle school. As far as I could tell, it only applies to college students and faculty, not middle or high schoolers. (I'd love to be proved wrong, though!!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

When I had to buy one for work, I found a great refurbished one on the Apple website.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    When I had to buy one for work, I found a great refurbished one on the Apple website.
    That is a good idea too. I bought my iPad mini this way too. The mini was a dud, but they replaced it no questions asked. I would definitely buy refurbished again if the price is right.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is great! Thank you! Which one would you buy for a middle schooler, 11inches or 13 inches?

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    This is great! Thank you! Which one would you buy for a middle schooler, 11inches or 13 inches?
    I'd get the 11 inches, especially if they will be carrying it back and forth to school. I find my 11 inch much easier to take places than my 13 inch.