Default Minor accident: do we need to replace our car seat?

in a VERY minor accident yesterday with the whole family in the car. We were stopped at a light and for some reason the guy in front of us started to reverse and just hit us. No damage to either car. No injuries, of course. Does this require me to replace DD2's car seat? We weren't moving at all and the guy couldn't have been going even 5 mph. TIA!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't replace under those circumstances. I've had similar things happen where there wasn't any damage and I didn't replace.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We've been in a similar very low speed 'tap' and didn't replace.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I probably wouldn't either, but maybe call the car seat company to see what they recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

The manufacturers may say yes (this partly depends on what brand your seats are, Britax for example would say no), but I personally would feel ok keeping them. We were waiting to pick up my parents at the airport curbside pickup place and the car in front of us backed into us very very slowly. I was sitting in the back seat with no seatbelt on (had climbed back to entertain DS while we waited) and while I felt the bump, I was not bumped out of position. I did not consider replacing our seat. Although I told DH that if there had been a scratch on the car I would have wanted to just because I was so annoyed at the guy who backed into us that I would have wanted to ask his insurance to cover it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

No, I wouldn't replace for an accident that minor.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Depends on the carseat manufacturer. Chicco states to replace for ANY accident. His insurance would pay for it of course.

Was there a police report of the accident?

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When we were in an accident that caused $3000 of damage to my car, b/c the airbags did not deploy, Britax said we did not have to replace it. My insurance agent told me to get a new one anyway and wrote me a check for a new Britax. The accident was significant enough in my case that I was thrown sideways and it took 4 weeks to fix our car. I felt better in that case.

For what you are describing, that is like a hitting a curb really hard or a tough pothole and I would not replace for that.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Jumping into this thread because I have a similar question. DH was just in an accident where he T-boned another car that pulled out from a shopping center across two lanes of traffic. The car was drivable, neither of the back doors were affected, and the airbags did not deploy, the two seats were not occupied, and he was not injured so according to Britax's 5 criteria we would not have to replace the seat. However, based on the fact that DH was going 45 mph before he hit is brakes, the insurance company deemed it a moderate (not minor) collision and recommended we replace our seats. So we did. But would you feel comfortable donating the old seats or keeping them as backup?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Jumping into this thread because I have a similar question. DH was just in an accident where he T-boned another car that pulled out from a shopping center across two lanes of traffic. The car was drivable, neither of the back doors were affected, and the airbags did not deploy, the two seats were not occupied, and he was not injured so according to Britax's 5 criteria we would not have to replace the seat. However, based on the fact that DH was going 45 mph before he hit is brakes, the insurance company deemed it a moderate (not minor) collision and recommended we replace our seats. So we did. But would you feel comfortable donating the old seats or keeping them as backup?
    If a CPST at Britax (not just a random customer service person) said it was ok knowing the vehicle speed and accident details I would feel ok keeping as backup seats. I personally would not feel comfortable selling or donating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17