Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fun Monday question: Store boycotts and gifts

Would you buy a gift for a friend at a store that she's boycotting? I buy 95% of kids' birthday presents at Target because I like the store and I have a RedCard. If I'm looking for something specific, I will sometimes go to the (pricier) independent toy store. And I've gone to Walmart a few times when Target didn't have something specific. But I really loathe going there.

So yesterday when I was shopping for a gift, I thought about my friend who is proudly boycotting Target because of its bathroom policy. Her kids' birthdays are still months away, but it got me thinking. I know it would be super passive aggressive to shop there (since I think the boycott is silly). But I also don't know why I should change my normal routine. And she would know because I always give gift receipts. But even if I didn't give a receipt and she didn't know, is it the principal of the thing?
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Wow. I am not sure what I would do there. Part of me thinks she is being silly, but I think it is nice of you to think about her. I would wait a few months and see if it blows over. Good luck.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Honestly, if Target had the item I was looking for and they had the best price, I would get it there. Maybe don't give a gift receipt?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Honestly, if Target had the item I was looking for and they had the best price, I would get it there. Maybe don't give a gift receipt?

My mom loathes Target (for their return policy and past major customer service issues, like returning items purchased off a registry which they refunded to the gift buyer's cc and left my disabled uncle who my mom was helping with nothing and then refusing to fix it. Our stores tend to suck like that.) But if I saw something I knew she'd like I would get it for her there. If it was something there was any chance she'd have to return I definitely wouldn't though.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm curious how her Target stance came up in conversation. I feel like if I could play dumb, like maybe she never told you directly but posted about it on Facebook (which you could easily miss for a variety of reasons) then I'd carry on. If she told you directly, I'd still shop at Target. Just no gift receipt.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am boycotting, but I don't expect others to boycott when buying gifts for me. On the other hand, if I knew a friend was boycotting a certain store, I would avoid it just to keep from stirring the pot.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Would you buy a gift for a friend at a store that she's boycotting? I buy 95% of kids' birthday presents at Target because I like the store and I have a RedCard. If I'm looking for something specific, I will sometimes go to the (pricier) independent toy store. And I've gone to Walmart a few times when Target didn't have something specific. But I really loathe going there.

So yesterday when I was shopping for a gift, I thought about my friend who is proudly boycotting Target because of its bathroom policy. Her kids' birthdays are still months away, but it got me thinking. I know it would be super passive aggressive to shop there (since I think the boycott is silly). But I also don't know why I should change my normal routine. And she would know because I always give gift receipts. But even if I didn't give a receipt and she didn't know, is it the principal of the thing?
    As someone who doesn't shop at Target, it would not bother me if someone bought a gift for me/my kids there. If we got a Target gift card I'd just regift it to someone who could use it. But I do not ask where someone got their gift from, or expect others to consider this.

I've got friends who do not go to Wal-mart, but I would not think twice about getting them a gift there. It's the same thing.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I am boycotting, but I don't expect others to boycott when buying gifts for me. On the other hand, if I knew a friend was boycotting a certain store, I would avoid it just to keep from stirring the pot.
    Same here. I would respect the other person's position. There's no reason to belittle it. If you find the gift for a better price at Target, get it, and just don't give the gift receipt, but if you can avoid it, I think that would better.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Personally, I would buy a gift from Target if that's what my preference was. I am fully supportive of their bathroom policy, and have a bit of anger towards those who don't see it as I do, so I'd probably be even more likely to buy it from there. But that's just me and my liberal ways...
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    Personally, I would buy a gift from Target if that's what my preference was. I am fully supportive of their bathroom policy, and have a bit of anger towards those who don't see it as I do, so I'd probably be even more likely to buy it from there. But that's just me and my liberal ways...
    I mean this with all due respect, but why are you angry that I happen to disagree with you and have chosen to spend my money a different way? Don't I have the same freedom to choose what I support or don't as you? I'm not asking anyone else to boycott, I'm just making my own choice. I haven't signed any petitions or protested, I just choose to spend my money elsewhere. Why does that make you angry?
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast