MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How do IQ tests work?

I know this is a really goofy question. DS is meeting with the school psych tomorrow (who's a licensed clinical psych) and she is going to start testing him due to some behaviors issues we've had. Possible ADHD, anxiety, and we know he has pretty bad sensory issues. She's going to do an IQ test tomorrow and then we will meet again to do some more tests. They think he may be gifted which is what's causing ( or at least amplifying) the behavior. I'm just curious how an IQ test works. What type of questions do they ask? He's not one that memorizes all of the presidents or things like that, but he learns quickly and remembers everything. I'm just curious how exactly they figure out your IQ if they ask questions about things you've never been exposed to, thus not knowing the answer.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I bet you took them as a kid. Spatial skills, patterns, recalling details over the course of a few minutes gap,... It's not trivia type stuff or things they would have really learned in school. It's more how the brain processes information.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I bet you took them as a kid. Spatial skills, patterns, recalling details over the course of a few minutes gap,... It's not trivia type stuff or things they would have really learned in school. It's more how the brain processes information.
    Exactly! They're not testing factual knowledge or retained information. It's not the kind of test you can study for.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That makes perfect sense! That's what I figured it had to be but wasn't sure.