niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Educate me on termites and tenting - in CA

We have dry wood termites in our detached garage - known issue and have to replace trim around doors, need a new garage door anyway etc. I had a house inspection too, and there's 2 spots where inspector saw droppings. Apparently no signs of subterranean termites I had an inspection about 5 years ago and nothing noted under the house, so the droppings there are new. Our house was tented before we bought it in 2005, so it's been 11 years. We're in CA - and a friend says every house has termites, you just haven't seen them yet!

I'm getting several quotes. The pest company I use for normal spraying(big national company) is giving me discount and says to tent both garage and house together as cheaper - the garage definitely needs to be tented and it's not much more to do the two structures together than to just do the garage and spot treat the house (and he's not sure if he can spot treat). Then there's information on a bait system, again another discount for that system and $249 per year plus some kind of warranty if you have the bait system and there's termites found within a certain time period later on, but you have to put the bait system in at same time as do tenting. As I am a customer, the inspector said there's a 2nd maintenance program we may be able to do, but he has to get back to me with details on that if we're eligible.

So anyone know anything about:
    1. how to get prepared for tenting as definitely doing garage at least, but probably house too.
    2. Bait system and regular maintenance of it - is it worth it in CA, the land of the termites.

Gees, between the termite companies and the orthodontists, all with their information and brochures etc, I'm feeling overwhelmed and the bank balance will be much decreased!
    Last edited by niccig; 07-27-2016 at 03:48 PM.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Educate me on termites and tenting - in CA

Not in CA, but my mom recently had dry wood termites. She didn't need her home tented. I don't know exactly what they did, but I know it involved drilling small holes in her wall which she she easily filled and painted. The company told her if she has any other issues they will come out and retreat at no cost for 1 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Last edited by trcy; 07-27-2016 at 11:08 PM.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We had dry wood termites on one side and they drilled and injected orange oil. No tenting, but that's because it wasn't an extensive invasion.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    We had dry wood termites on one side and they drilled and injected orange oil. No tenting, but that's because it wasn't an extensive invasion.
    I'm hoping the 2nd company I get in may suggest this for the house as getting it ready, leaving will be a PITA. We have a lot of landscaping around the house and vines on trellis, all that has to be trimmed 1' from structure or it can be killed, and it may still be damaged. Just tenting the garage and treating the house will save me a tonne of work.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It can be extensive prep, as we were told _everything_ has to come off of the structure, ie power lines, antenna, fence, dish, and all the landscaping. Then, of course, it all has to be put back together. Major PITA. Was recently recommended on our investment property in CA, we're still seeking other options.