Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Does your child have a Required Summer Reading list for school?

I'm curious.

Does your child have a required summer reading list for school?

If so, what grade will your child be entering in the fall?

And, post the list of books that they are required to read!! (I may force my kids to read some!! LOL)

My son is going into the 6th grade. He has no required summer reading. But I am having
    him read 15 min. each day. It's like pulling teeth.

My daughter is going into the 9th grade. She's in Honors English. She is required to
    read Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies this summer. Along with the reading,
    she is required to do extra questions, essays, annotations, etc. regarding the books.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Going into 2nd grade and 4th grade, no summer reading lists. My girls love to read though and do the library reading program (we stopped recording after they hit 1000 minutes which is the max. for the top prize drawings) and earn the free book from Barnes and Nobles reading program.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD is going into 1st grade. There are no "required" reading lists from school at the moment. ETA: However, the library did have a handout of books they thought children entering 1st grade might enjoy/be able to read alone.

Her school is logging minutes, so she colors sections of her school mascot for every 15 minutes or 1 chapter we read. All reading counts, so even if we read a couple of magazines, I tell her to color another part of the pictures.

We signed up for B&N's reading triathlon (which was pretty easy to complete) and have already earned the free book. DD picked a book we could read together.

She's also been participating in our library system's summer reading program; they're only logging titles/authors, not minutes read. Each week, she gets a prize and a free book (until books run out.)

I remember having to do book reports starting in 1st grade, but I also attended parochial school and it was 1984, so my experience was quite different from other kids' even in the same town!

We didn't have a single book that was "required" reading for everyone until the summer between 6th and 7th grades, which was when our curriculum started to synch a bit more closely with the public school's.

We read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor that year, with Sing Down the Moon by Scott O'Dell required between 7th and 8th grades. I still remember both of these novels fondly, despite resenting having to read something "so short" at the time.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD going into 2nd is required to read 15 minutes per day & keep a log. She also has a calendar with a math problem per day. They are very quick and we usually do a week at a time.

DS going into 4th has to read 30 min per day & keep a log. He also had summer math work to do through Khan Academy.

There is a suggested reading list for each grade which includes fiction, nonfiction, biographies and poetry.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, my DD is heading into 8th and she has a required book for honors LA. I just finished it.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My oldest is going into 7th grade and none of my kids have a required reading list at our school. He did read 6 classics throughout the year during 6th grade. I encourage the kids to read as much as they can and the to get them interested in different series. Ds1 and DS2 have been enjoying Ender's game and Ender's Shadow books and is currently loving PlanesRunner and Be My Enemy. They both devoured the Hunger Games books this spring. DS3 has been loving the Roald Dahl books. DD is reading the Roald Dahl books and is on book 2 of the Princess academy books. They aren't classics but the kids are reading which is enough for me!!!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds2- no
    Ds1- going into honors 9th grade English has to read Lord of the Flies and do a study guide. He's never had summer reading before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    They aren't classics but the kids are reading which is enough for me!!!
    I agree!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

No required reading here. There is an optional reading program at the elementary and you are encouraged to do it and read at least 1000 minutes. Both DD and DS2 are doing that and have more than 1000 minutes so far.

DS2 and DS1 are doing the library program.

I've googled to find reading lists from other places as suggestions for DS1. He reads a ton and reads fast. DD and DS2 are both reading Harry Potter and are both on book 3 now. Neither are as fast as DS1 is, which makes me a little happy .
    Kris

DS1 is going into 8th grade. One of his required reading is "Fish in a Tree".
    https://www.amazon.com/Fish-Tree-Lyn...fish+in+a+tree

He also needs to read a second book of his choice.

DS2 is going into 4th grade and has no required reading.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast