Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

our district has required non fiction book report grades 1-4 grade. (a drawing will work for incoming first graders).
    DD1 is going into 5th and she has a fiction and nonfiction book report to do from a list of books to chiose from.

DD1 is switching to a charter school (we just found out she got off the wait list! woo hoo!!). Wonder is the required reading with a ven diagram comparing/contrasting the main character to yourself.

On a side note, what a great book to start middle school with.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Not reading but some language arts online thing they need to do and come up with a science fair project. One is going into 7th one is going into 2nd
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Our elementary school (K-5) has a summer packet they give out at the end of school. If kids complete them there's a party one of the first Fridays of school.

Fourth grader has a decent sized workbook of math sheets, short stories with questions, and a few writing prompts.

First grader has a bingo type grid for each of the three months - lots of boxes with write alphabet, read for 15 minutes, retell a story to an adult.

I'm trying to get 7th grader to read and practice his trombone but we've both been really bad.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No required reading for my 2nd and 4th graders. No homework at all, actually. I am making DD1 do handwriting practice, and doing a little math with DD2.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

DD is going into 6th--has to read Around the World in 80 Days (the junior version) and do a project on it--which is easy for her. Plush she has to do a math packet.

DS is going into 7th--he has to read 4 books and write reports (he could do some other project type things but a report is the best fit for him) We were given a list. He will have read:
    I Am Malala
    The Boys Who Challenged Hitler
    Food Rules
    The Spider and the Spindle (a book by Neil Gaiman)

He is not a fast reader so after it took him a month to read the Malala book, I said--we are looking for short books on this list!

Others on the list included the Maze Runner, any of the Hobbit/Tolkein books, another book by Lois Lowry (not The Giver), 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, The Boys in the Boat, Unbroken, and a bunch of others that I can't remember.

Your local library or independent bookstore will have a list of recommended books by grade.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kids are at independent charter schools.

DS1 (8th grade) No book lists or reading logs (although he reads constantly on his own and never leaves home without a book). He will be going into geometry though and has to do a little bit of math homework to make sure he's ready in the fall (hasn't started yet though!)

DS2 (2nd grade) No book lists, reading logs, or homework of any kind.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids (going into Kinder and 2nd) were not given any summer homework assignments, but being a teacher, I've supplied them with plenty of homework this summer to keep their skills up.

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD entering 9th at local public high school has to read/annotate Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for her Honors English class; no official prep for Algebra 2 or AP Human Geo, but some of her friends at other high schools have HW in those classes

DS entering 6th at private independent school has to read a YA novel called The Running Dream and also had to pick an additional book from a list (the list had a mix of classics and YA books and he chose Something Wicked This Way Comes) - he needs to answer some basic protagonist/antagonist type questions. DD was pretty accelerated in math and took PreAlgebra in 6th at same independent school, but DS will actually be in the accelerated 7th grade class (Algebra 1) as a 6th grader and has a packet that needs to be completed in the final two weeks before school starts
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

DS rising 7th grader, no required reading. We are having him read for his reading merit badge.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Going into 1st grade here; no assigned summer activities. Not sure whether our school does that in the higher grades since we're just starting.

If you're looking for recommendations, you could check lists like this one put out by the Association for Library Service to Children, or check with your local library; ours has whole shelves set out with lists broken out by grade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast