AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Nice article on parenting and not having to say sorry all of the time

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...bags-parenting

Great article though I still feel the need to apologize and correct my 6 yr. old who thinks any woman (including myself) without a truly flat belly is pregnant, and asks them if they are pregnant. I hope she grows out of this baby phase soon (and it doesn't help her 1st grade teacher just had a baby this summer).

I would've never thought to do anything like what the people did that the author highlighted. I would rather deal with babies instead of drunk people or adults acting rudely on the plane.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I totally agree though I'll admit this is only a perspective I gained once I became a parent. Before that, yes, I was judgey and I regret it!

I was flying for a business trip and a mom and her baby were in the row behind me. The baby started to fuss at takeoff and I saw the mom get hot and flustered - she kept apologizing to the man sitting next to her and promised that the baby would calm once they were in the air. The man looked at her and simply said "You can't promise anything but I promise I won't be bothered." I wanted to high-five him.

On another flight, there was a screaming toddler and the mom was trying her best in her constrained space to calm him. A flight attendant wordlessly walked over, held out her arms, and the mom gave the baby to the flight attendant who then proceeded to hold the baby and walk all up and down the aisles while checking on other passengers and collecting trash, etc. She did this several times throughout the flight.

I think as a society we have very little tolerance for babies and kids just being babies and kids! I would much rather sit next to a baby than the guy I sat next to once who farted the entire 3.5 hour flight Lifting his left or right butt cheeks and all.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 07-27-2016 at 06:32 PM.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I would much rather sit next to a baby than the guy I sat next to once who farted the entire 3.5 hour flight Lifting his left or right butt cheeks and all.
    OMG!!!!!!! Seriously?!?! I'm dying over here laughing but for you that must have been horrible!!!! WOW!!!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

The man looked at her and simply said "You can't promise anything but I promise I won't be bothered." I wanted to high-five him.

On another flight, there was a screaming toddler and the mom was trying her best in her constrained space to calm him. A flight attendant wordlessly walked over, held out her arms, and the mom gave the baby to the flight attendant who then proceeded to hold the baby and walk all up and down the aisles while checking on other passengers and collecting trash, etc. She did this several times throughout the flight.
    These people rock.

(Farty McFarterson, not so much. )
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    OMG!!!!!!! Seriously?!?! I'm dying over here laughing but for you that must have been horrible!!!! WOW!!!
    I'm super sensitive to smells to begin with and this was just pure torture. He went to the bathroom at one point (it took a while - my only reprieve) and came back smelling AWFUL, like the stench of whatever came out of him and filled the airplane bathroom was clinging to his clothing. And he kept on farting. I could feel the vibrations through the seat. I'm not joking. I got to my hotel, stripped, put my clothes in the plastic laundry bag, tied it up tight, and took a very hot shower. Thank goodness I had packed an extra outfit.

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would much rather sit next to a baby than the guy I sat next to once who farted the entire 3.5 hour flight Lifting his left or right butt cheeks and all.
    I used to share an office with that guy!