Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Heart surgery recovery BTDT advice

My brother just had quadruple bypass yesterday. Heart disease is in our family history so we are thankful it was discovered. The surgery went well. I'm looking for any BTDT advice on what to expect over the next several months as he recovers. What I can do to help my SIL as she is not the type to ask for it. We've got meals covered and I'm already planning on taking her kids for sleepovers etc.

Also, what will DB's new "normal" be? He has a fairly stressful job that requires him to travel (5+ hr flights) at least twice a month. Is it realistic or advised that he keep this job? I'm thinking no.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My uncle had quadruple bypass surgery in the early 90's. He was in his early 40's at the time. It took a few months to get better, but he really recovered pretty well. He continued to do his job -- he also traveled a lot and it was high stress. And personally, I think if you tell your brother he should quit his job that's going to really add to his stress! That's a decision he needs to come to himself. A lot of recovery is about figuring out what works for you and what doesn't -- no one else can make him change his bad habits. That's really up to him. I will tell you my uncle has not had any other heart issues since. And he's still very active. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How old is he? Honestly - i would be suprised if he doesn't return to normalcy and his job within a few short weeks (2-3). I too think changing jobs would create more stress for the family, I wouldnt think that is necessary.... i know people who have had the same thing with VERY physical demanding jobs they have returned to. I would think they would offer cardiac therapy, and a nutritionist. His new normal may be medications, diet and exercise change..... but otherwise i doubt if he is young he would have too many restrictions AT ALL. Unfortuantely when it's hereditary you do what you can to live healthier after a scare like this, but it's up to the person to make changes to help the situation. it's not easy. I think his new normal would be similar to his old normal - but hopsefully with more concentration on heart healthy diet and exercise.

Default Heart surgery recovery BTDT advice

Thanks. That's good to hear. I wasn't suggesting that I would tell him to quit his job. I was just wondering if it was something advisable or possible. Obviously, that is not a decision I would make for them. Just want to get an idea of expectations of life post surgery. He is 48 with a generally healthy lifestyle.

It's been a lot to process over the past couple of days.

Last edited by emily; 07-28-2016 at 09:15 AM.

cardiac rehab is really helpful, its shown to reduce the likelihood of more cardiac problems. I would really encourage him to look into it
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post
    cardiac rehab is really helpful, its shown to reduce the likelihood of more cardiac problems. I would really encourage him to look into it
    Yes to this! My dad has his first bypass in 1991 at 56 and his second in 2008 at 73. His recovery was actually easier in 2008. Your brother really should complete cardiac rehab. It is not just exercise but nutrition education, etc. It was great for my dad. It was also helpful from the standpoint of seeing others in your same boat and moral support.

Cardiac surgery has come a long way. I would imagine that your brother can return to work, etc. fairly quickly but I would encourage him not to rush. It is important to take care of himself physically but also mentally. There can certainly be a sense of being overwhelmed, depressed, scared, etc. after surgery. He should also be compliant with medications and lifestyle choices. At his age, I would think that he could do very well post surgery. Hope all goes well for him and his family!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My dad had triple bypass at age 73, and recovery was/is still difficult. Age matters, and his physical therapist said a year to feel close to normal after surgery. His has taken longer due to stress though. Since your brother is nearly 30 years younger, I'd expect an easier/faster recovery. Does he at least get to fly business class on those flights?

Quote Originally Posted by kdeunc View Post
    Yes to this! My dad has his first bypass in 1991 at 56 and his second in 2008 at 73. His recovery was actually easier in 2008. Your brother really should complete cardiac rehab. It is not just exercise but nutrition education, etc. It was great for my dad. It was also helpful from the standpoint of seeing others in your same boat and moral support.

Cardiac surgery has come a long way. I would imagine that your brother can return to work, etc. fairly quickly but I would encourage him not to rush. It is important to take care of himself physically but also mentally. There can certainly be a sense of being overwhelmed, depressed, scared, etc. after surgery. He should also be compliant with medications and lifestyle choices. At his age, I would think that he could do very well post surgery. Hope all goes well for him and his family!
    My mother has heart disease too, after her second heart attack in 60's. She is still having major difficultly, and not doing cardic rehab really hurt her recovery, IMO. She went on to have 2 more heart hearts after having a bypass in the middle of it all. Continuing to be a smoker certainly didn't help her case.

So I agree with pp that age really matters and cardic rehab did the world for my DH. He is bit younger than your brother at time of his first and only heart attack few years ago, after lowering his BP and doing cardic rehab, he is healthier now than in his 30's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

I will caution that it takes more than 2-3 weeks to recover from quadruple bypass surgery (even in the best of scenarios). He needs to follow his doctor's orders and complete cardiac rehab. You can help with meals, logistics, the usual help.

Is cardiac rehab something that needs to be specifically asked for or something doctors recommend/ order? In any case, I will bring it up. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast