Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Help me order flowers? How do you find a florist?

Any suggestions for finding an out of state florist? i'm a total online shopper - but just so weary when you see a website with nothing but teleflora on it? DO i just have to go with it and hope for the best? Is there an online that can be trusted more than others?

I would love to send flowers to a friend today... just found out her father passed away in recent months, and would love to at least acknowledge that they are in my thoughts after hearing the news.

ANY help appreciated! Sad to say i don't think i have EVER ordered flowers for someone out of town!

They are in Leonardtown, Maryland.

I check yelp for reviews in the person's town and call a local business.

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When I order out of town, I google all the local florists and check out their websites and call them directly. I agree with you in that I tend to stay away from Teleflora florists, although not always if they have a nice website with real examples and not just stock teleflora pics.

Like others said, read out of town reviews and go with the style I like from web site with good reviews and not the mass market teleflorists. And call and ask wha they have that is the freshest most spectacular and talk about what they can do. I've had great luck in several states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I hate making phone calls.
    I have had the best results with FTD.

When I tried ordering an arrangement with a local florist the once I did it, they were unable to deliver everything I'd ordered to the recipient. It took almost a week for the refund for the portion the florist didn't deliver to get through.

However, don't let my poor experience with the local shop put you off trying to find one near your friend, OP!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I always call a highly rated local shop with the request to please have fun and use whatever is in season/fresh. We establish a budget and they generally do an awesome job without paying fees to a referral site. I prefer to do things online too but this is totally worth a phone call. Flower shop employees seem to be a friendly bunch.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I frequently use FTD and have had good experiences. They occasionally don't send exactly what I ordered, but it's always been something beautiful and fresh, so I've never had any complaints. It's not cheap, but I don't think fresh flowers are in general -- as it happens I've never bought flowers locally to compare, only ever needed to send them states away!
    Lizi

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You'll get a much better deal for your money generally if you go directly to a florist and not through one of the online floral companies. They usually just contract out to the local guy, so you end up paying double overhead. Look at online reviews in the area, or call one you trust to see if they can recommend one near your friend.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)