Default Car seat travel question

We are planning to fly internationally soon. I had thought we were going to be taking a bus to the airport which is about 1.5 hrs away and was not planning on bringing a car seat, turns out it is a van. This makes me feel like we need a car seat but we don't need one where we are going. DH doesn't want to bring car seat at all. My DC is a petite 3 yr old. Anyone know what my options are? I would prefer not to lug a car seat around as well, but will if it is safer. Not sure what the airline policy is either, esp since it is international.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would think for a van you need a car seat. For a 3 year old I really like to have a car seat on the plane as well. We don't fly extensively but when we have I have found their car seats to be more comfortable for my little guys and they also help contain them. We have used a lightweight Cosco Serena for travel.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Talk to the van service. They may have one you can use for the van ride. I would not go without in a van. Would someone be willing to drive you?

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The van will have shoulder belts and headrests? I'd look into the ride safer vest if your DH really doesn't want to bring a carseat though I would for a 3 year old. Evenflo maestro is lightweight and cheap.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We are just back from Ireland and we rented a car so I wanted a seat for the little one, but it is great to have on the plane, and we also take public transport about 1.5 hours to the airport, it was worth having. I have the costco serena that we use just for travel. Too bad airports don't have lockers anymore so you could store it for the van ride back home.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you are think you'd ever use it again, the RideSafer vest is pretty awesome, perfect for taking on vacation & using for unexpected taxi rides/etc at a destination. It's rated to the same standards as a carseat, and much easier to schlepp on a plane (although my kids have always greatly preferred having their own seats to having a carseat so we haven't taken carseats on board since a very disastrous, memorable flight where both kids lost it sitting in their carseats, then the carseat got stuck in the plane seat ...). All that said, though, I know some families find their kids *do* like sitting in carseats on the plane so YMMV there.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think there's a weight minimum for the Ride Safer vest (3 years, 30 pounds?) so double check on that first. I would also see whether the van company can provide one. Agree that the Ride Safer vest can be useful in all the situations PP mentioned so you would continue to get use out of it after the trip.

Default Car seat travel question

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, there is no time to get the vest as it looks like they need to be ordered only; but my DC is below 30 lbs anyway. I am going to look into the Cosco scenera though. Hope I can find that in store!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Don't get the scenera if she's ff, get the evenflo maestro or even the chase (40lb harness limit but if she's not even 30lb not a big deal) target/Walmart etc will have one or both

I agree, the Scenera NEXT (newer version that came out a year or two ago) is fabulous for RF travel seat, but I would not buy it if you are going to use it FF. The top harness slots are very low and kids outgrow it FF before they outgrow it RF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17