TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Britax Clicktight rave and questions

We just got a Marathon Clicktight and I was astounded at how easy it was to install. I'm used to getting both knees in the seat and pushing and tugging. Wow. But I also have a few questions.

In order to pop the clicktight open to uninstall the seat, I needed to unbuckle the vehicle seat belt to let slack into the belt. I simply could not turn the clicktight button before I did that. Is that ok?

DD2 is uncomfortable with the impact absorbing chest pieces on the harness. I know that Britax strongly recommends using them for forward facing but it is ok to remove them for rear facing to get a tighter fit. DD2 is small...she is almost 2.75 years and around 23-25 lbs. Could she be uncomfortable because she is small and thus can I remove them, or should they be kept because she is forward facing?

Thanks!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

We have two click tight seats, a Frontier and a Marathon. I posted here a long while ago complaining about how hard it was to open the seats to uninstall them. I was given advice about releasing the seatbelt! Thank goodness! Yes, it's perfectly appropriate to release the seatbelt first.

As for removing the chest clip, I absolutely would not! I'm no expert on how the seat distributes crash forces, but having the straps in the appropriate place is, I would imagine, imperative for the seat to do its job. The straps are the whole reason for the seat, and if you take away the chest clip, I can imagine that with the force of a crash the straps could slide to the sides of the body, and the child would not be restrained. Maybe I'm wrong, but I absolutely wouldn't risk it unless I spoke with someone from Britax who said the chest clip was unnecessary for the seat to function as designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a clicktight Frontier that I love!

Yes, it's recommended to unbuckle the seat belt first before undoing the clicktight.

And yes, you can remove the HUGS pads when rear facing but need to put them back on for forward facing. It did not sound like you are asking about removing the chest clip, which isn't allowed.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    We have two click tight seats, a Frontier and a Marathon. I posted here a long while ago complaining about how hard it was to open the seats to uninstall them. I was given advice about releasing the seatbelt! Thank goodness! Yes, it's perfectly appropriate to release the seatbelt first.

As for removing the chest clip, I absolutely would not! I'm no expert on how the seat distributes crash forces, but having the straps in the appropriate place is, I would imagine, imperative for the seat to do its job. The straps are the whole reason for the seat, and if you take away the chest clip, I can imagine that with the force of a crash the straps could slide to the sides of the body, and the child would not be restrained. Maybe I'm wrong, but I absolutely wouldn't risk it unless I spoke with someone from Britax who said the chest clip was unnecessary for the seat to function as designed.

Not the chest clip, the grey/beige rectangular pieces through which each strap is threaded. The manual did not refer to them as the HUGS pads like Essence said, but I think that's what they used to be called. They are grey inthis pic, the chest clip is black:

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I have a clicktight Frontier that I love!

Yes, it's recommended to unbuckle the seat belt first before undoing the clicktight.

And yes, you can remove the HUGS pads when rear facing but need to put them back on for forward facing. It did not sound like you are asking about removing the chest clip, which isn't allowed.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Ok, so DD2 will have to get used to them (she is forward facing). Thank you!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

One of my kids complained about them, but eventually got used to them. I'd at least give it some good time to see if she adjusts.
    Kris

Oh, I see! I'd think the pads wouldn't be as crucial as the clip, for sure!!! When DS was FF, he always used to move those pads way down so the clip would be at the very, very top. Maybe if you position them that way they won't be as irritating. I'm sorry I misunderstood.