Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Need California Getaway Advice! Kind of tough!

We had some fortune thrown our way and have about $400 that we didn't anticipate to spend on a getaway here in Southern California. I have parents that will watch our kids and the money to spend! DH just turned 40 so I want to surprise him with this "vacation". Dh will not be able to take much (if any) time off going forward but we want to do either a Friday and Saturday night or even just a Friday night trip. Staying in California is ideal because we'd be driving and the duration won't be very long.

I'm still trying to figure out DH's vacation style. He's the anxious sort so vacations can be stressful unless really well planned. He prefers the mountains and I prefer the coasts. Truthfully, I tend to like things that cost money--eating out, shopping, etc. And so does DH. But we don't have a whole lot. He'd be really happy to go camping and I used to love camping but these days I feel like I want a comfortable bed, air conditioning and a long shower, lol.

Any ideas for us? I told you it might be hard!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What about Santa Barbara? You have hills and the coast there and there are some lovely hotels. I don't think you drink but if you do. The wineries are really fun to tour.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No advice on location - but how about GLAMPING since you want to suprise him and want to make it more about him???

Seems to be all the rage on the East Coast now - - camping locations with glamorous accomodations! Tons of places we can rent luxury cabins. I'm sure you probably have to have SOMEWHERE around there you can do that? Best of both worlds - you get the comfort, and he gets the mountains....

just a thought!

http://www.finehomesandliving.com/To...rn-California/

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Don't do Friday night. Everyone's stressed after the work week and it's harder to relax. Go with Saturday. I think the Santa Barbara idea is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm kind of into that glamping idea! I will look into that for sure. I LOVE Santa Barbara and would love to stay there. Its 100% my scene. Maybe some modifications will make it seem more "woodsy" to DH? I will look into that too.

Honestly I think Friday is just way more appealing. Saturday starts getting close to the week again and feels stressful if that makes sense! There's truly a TGIF feeling at this house!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So long as you can get the same amount of time if you do a Friday vs Saturday. If you can't leave until mid afternoon Friday vs morning Saturday, I would choose Saturday to maximize your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What about Ojai? Or Avila hot springs?

You don't drink wine do you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

going with the camping idea - koa? I haven't been to any of these in SoCal so can't speak to them, but we've been thinking about staying at one of their cabins instead of our normal tent camping. Check to see what exactly they provide in their cabin, I think most (all?) provide bedding, but maybe not.

http://koa.com/search/?txtLocation=s...dlDistance=250

eta: I see the link from pp about glamping includes one of these KOAs.
    Last edited by rlu; 08-15-2016 at 07:47 PM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Santa Barbara is one of my favorite places but the hotels are crazy expensive - even dumpy ones - so the $400 will barely pay for 1 night at a hotel with little left over for dining. Going with the glamping theme, how about El Capitan? They have yurts, cabins and I think regular tents. You can go as rustic or glam as you want. I'd suggest Mammoth and getting a room at the Village so you have a nice room but can get the camping feel by going hiking, fishing, etc., however given that you only have 1 night the drive is too far. Definitely check out El Capitan!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast