View Poll Results: If both parents WOTH, what is your childcare this year?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Onsite aftercare

19 47.50%
  • Offsite aftercare

5 12.50%
  • After school sitter

6 15.00%
  • none (our schedules allow for us to be home by pickup)

2 5.00%
  • some combo of the above

5 12.50%
  • other

3 7.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD's going into 4th. Generally, we do some carpooling to swim team 3 days a week, and then there is an after school Girls on the Run program for 2 times a week. Otherwise, carpool home and I try to meet her there within an hour of her getting home if not sooner. This summer we had highschool age sitters for driving but DD was home alone for an hour on either side a lot and she was fine.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I voted sitter. She watches our kids and a few others before and after school at her house. My kids' bus pick up is 8:45am and drop off is 3:15pm. Both DH and I have to be to work by 8am and neither of us can leave until after 4:15pm. When DD1 goes to middle school next year bus pick up is somewhere around 7:15am so she'll be able to get the bus at our house. The sitter also helps us with half days when there are parent-teacher conferences. She's $100/week for both kids which is significantly cheaper than before/after care at area daycares. The school does not offer a program.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I still have one at home so we have a nanny. I have 3 more years before I need to figure out what to do about afterschool. My guess is we will still have our nanny.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We do onsite aftercare (3rd & 1st) 4 days a week (I don't work Fridays). It's open until 6:30 but we pick them up earlier most days (basically just if we're running late for some reason). It's $780 a month but that also covers school half days, professional days, 3-4 days out of winter & spring break and even minor snow days, so basically whenever the actual school building is open. They have before care starting at 6:30 but we don't need that and it would be extra.

Adding - we're in DC metro so very HCOL area.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    We do onsite aftercare (3rd & 1st) 4 days a week (I don't work Fridays). It's open until 6:30 but we pick them up earlier most days (basically just if we're running late for some reason). It's $780 a month but that also covers school half days, professional days, 3-4 days out of winter & spring break and even minor snow days, so basically whenever the actual school building is open. They have before care starting at 6:30 but we don't need that and it would be extra.

Adding - we're in DC metro so very HCOL area.
    Is that $780/month per kid? We have very similar aftercare for $245/mo per kid. (no multiple child discounts) Single day professional dev days and half days are included. Winter and Spring Break is extra.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    Is that $780/month per kid? We have very similar aftercare for $245/mo per kid. (no multiple child discounts) Single day professional dev days and half days are included. Winter and Spring Break is extra.
    No, that's for both, with the multiple child & multiple days discounts.

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We do before and aftercare. DS gets to school about an hour, has a snack and can play. He goes 3 days a week afterschool. They do crafts, toys, games and gym or outside play. For this I pay about 250 a month, half of it is for the before care. If he went everyday afterschool it would be about 350ish. My mother picks him up twice a week. The kids range from K-4th grade.
    DS 6/09

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    No, that's for both, with the multiple child & multiple days discounts.
    There is one rate for our aftercare. No discount if you do not use it everyday. And it looks like it is actually $280/mo/child (It is auto-paid, to avoid having to go to the office every month). $245 must have been a few years ago. *wry*
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Sneaky price increases! Yes, it's nice that they only charge by the days you actually use and give the discounts for multiple days, with higher discounts the more days. The base rate is $193/day/month apparently. This company runs the aftercare at several dozen schools in our huge county system though it's never full at our small school. Not sure if you have to commit to full week if it's at one of the schools with a waiting list. They also do discounts for e-checks rather than credit cards and for paying the full year in advance.

DS goes to on-site aftercare. We have been incredibly lucky with the program that is available as well as the price (it averages around $130 a month). In addition to homework program they also offer on-site classes in various sports, art, etc. Because I also work in a school I am easily able to get him before they close at 6. I'm also lucky that I have a very close mom friend in the neighborhood who I can trade off with for in-a-pinch pickups or short babysitting. Though things may change for us this year now that he's older and more interested in off-site weekday activities. So, I'll be watching this thread for ideas as to how to juggle that.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast