Default Outer Banks, NC - Anyone been?

Anyone here been to the OUter Banks? We are planning a trip. We would love to know your FAVORITE places to visit, eat, etc.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What area are you staying in?
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We are here now. Staying in Duck, which is where we always stay. We come for a week most years. Love it. We are here with two other families. All good friends. DS1 is currently biking around with his friends on the nice flat roads. We went crabbing this morning. So much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

mommylamb - let me know where you like to eat out at?

trentsmom - we are thinking of staying near kitty hawk, but are totally open to places to stay and would love to know more about things to do and great places to eat.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You should have a look at Trip Advisors NC message board. I bet you'll find lots of good ideas there.

we love OBX, we spent 2 weeks there this summer-one at kitty hawk at a beach house with my family and one camping-5 nights at ocracoke and 2 near nags head.
    Suggestions:
    DUCK DONUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they have a bunch-kitty hawk, kill devil hills, maybe nags head? Seriously the best donuts EVER.
    If you like history/park service stuff check out the "In the Park" newsletter for talks and activities. The flight room talks at kitty hawk (Wright Brothers) are excellent as are most of the kid programs. We did crabbing with a ranger at ocracoke-so much fun. We go every summer to OBX so we've done a lot of the programs over the years.

https://www.nps.gov/caha/learn/news/...6-no-crops.pdf

Restaurants
    Darrells in manteo
    http://www.darrellsseafood.com/
    The captains table in Hatteras/Buxton
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Carolina.html

Kitty hawk kites stores. They are a crazy mess of all sorts of stuff-every town has one
    We love to climb the lighthouses-both Hatteras and Bodie Island are open for climbing (you have to be a certain height to climb)

We generally stay in Hatteras or Ocracoke so I know more of the stuff there. The ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke is free but takes a little over an hour now. But Ocracoke is a very cute village. We love it there (we honeymooned there 15 years ago!)
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We stay in South Nags Head, so I'm not as familiar with what's in Kitty Hawk. We spend most of our time on the beach, sitting on the deck looking at the ocean, or lounging around the house. We've gone to the aquarium a couple of times, and this year they've renovated it, so we'll have to go again in the future. We've been to Bodie Island Light House, but we haven't climbed it. We've looked for seashells at Coquina Beach and on Pea Island.

For food, we pick up some great stuff from Cahoon's Market and the Sugar Shack. We're within walking distance of Fish Heads on the Outer Banks Pier and eat there a few times because it's such an enjoyable place. We've also enjoyed Sugar Creek, Sam and Omie's, Blue Moon Beach Grill, and Dune Burger. Next time we go down, we hope to try Darrell's in Manteo, Darrell's 2 in Nags Head, or Blue Water Grill.

For more recommendations, check out the OBX Connection. They have a message board with people who are passionate about all parts of the Outer Banks. You can read the message board, but you won't be able to do a search until you join. I've gotten so much great information there over the years. We went to Disney this year instead of the OBX, but I still read the boards so that I know what's going on and can start to plan what we want to do next year!
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have been every year for 31 years I think. We stay in Duck (actually technically a little north of Duck) so I am most familiar with restaurants in Duck, and we do Blue Point for dinner at least once while there. We tend to cook in other times just to be most laid back. We do always hit Captain Franks in Kitty Hawk on the way in for a hotdog. You will have a great time, we love love love the towns of OBX.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We typically cook in most nights while here. Tonight we are doing seafood pots from Coastal Cravings. Love duck donuts of course. I also like the pizza shop that's right next to duck donuts. We just don't do a lot of activities while we are here so I don't have a lot to recommend. We mostly just spend time at the beach and the pool and play board games and ride bikes. We have 6 kids and 6 adults here now do the kids are just hanging out together having a blast. One thing my kids love doing is crabbing off the pier in the bayside. We buy strings and fish heads or chicken necks from the bait and tackle shop in Duck and it keeps them occupied for hours. We also love going out at dusk with flashlights on the. Each to catch ghost crabs. There are tons of them this year. I am so sad that our vacation is almost over.

DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Oh yes, I forgot the aquarium. We had a great time, it was reduced admission since they were still in the process of rehabbing. Make sure you do the turtle part. There is a room with a turtle hospital play area (you get a plastic turtle and you put it in one station to diagnose it and then to another area and do random treatments then release it back and then the next room has 10 tanks for sea turtles that they are rehabbing and the volunteer there told us about each one and what happened. 2 were about to be released that week. It was very cool.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)