Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I just used a regular sized shower curtain and liner. Works fine, ends up more gathered but not bad looking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Personally I don't think what you describe is unusual or a special case. Our shower gets moldy after a couple of days too, but it's an easy fix. We spray a bathroom cleaner with bleach on it and let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse. We also get some mold around the door -- it's the moisture. I agree with the other person who suggests leaving the door open after showering -- that's what we do and it helps.

I think a shower curtain is going to be even worse -- you are going to have all of those folds of fabric trapping water and not drying. Mold city!

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-zb View Post
    Personally I don't think what you describe is unusual or a special case. Our shower gets moldy after a couple of days too, but it's an easy fix. We spray a bathroom cleaner with bleach on it and let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse. We also get some mold around the door -- it's the moisture. I agree with the other person who suggests leaving the door open after showering -- that's what we do and it helps.

I think a shower curtain is going to be even worse -- you are going to have all of those folds of fabric trapping water and not drying. Mold city!
    I agree. If your bathroom is damp, a shower curtain is going to hold all that moisture in. The curtain will get moldy and is even harder to clean than glass. A magic eraser with Dawn gets everything off glass. Once it's clean, you can use Rain-X (car windshield treatment) on it. Leave the door open to let the shower itself air out. If you had a curtain, you have to keep the curtain pulled taut to let it dry OR leave it bunched up to let the stall air, and that makes the curtain funk city.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-zb View Post

I think these are good solutions for many showers. However, I have an extremely old shower door system that I find terribly onerous to clean. It doesn't help that it is scratched and ugly and so it never really looks good. I think a shower curtain would actually be MUCH easier to keep looking nice than my current situation, with its tiny nooks and crannies. I've taken to wiping down every surface after every single shower and then deep cleaning once a week. In my second bath I buy higher quality shower curtain liners and launder them with bleach whenever needed. It is MUCH easier to keep that bath looking nice than the one in my master!

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I think these are good solutions for many showers. However, I have an extremely old shower door system that I find terribly onerous to clean. It doesn't help that it is scratched and ugly and so it never really looks good. I think a shower curtain would actually be MUCH easier to keep looking nice than my current situation, with its tiny nooks and crannies. I've taken to wiping down every surface after every single shower and then deep cleaning once a week. In my second bath I buy higher quality shower curtain liners and launder them with bleach whenever needed. It is MUCH easier to keep that bath looking nice than the one in my master!

I appreciate all of the responses! I do agree that a shower curtain may still be better in my situation. There is a ton of mold on the glass door I have. I already spent lots of time cleaning one side including the tracks, etc. For anyone who has read my other threads, I had a reaction in my eyes that has taken 6 weeks to heal. Although, I should have been wearing goggles and can do it next time, I really should not do all of the cleaning that is involved in the rest of the glass door. It is a very old door as bisous describes above with lots of nooks and crannies. My doctor actually told me not to clean any more mold, but to hire that out. Al Well, I don't have a regular cleaning person and no one wants to come to clean mold off of a glass door! Also, as this point I am not even using this shower stall...I just want the ability to use it in the future. Anyway, I know people have different scenarios, but I am happy to hear that some have successfully used a curtain.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    I appreciate all of the responses! I do agree that a shower curtain may still be better in my situation. There is a ton of mold on the glass door I have. I already spent lots of time cleaning one side including the tracks, etc. For anyone who has read my other threads, I had a reaction in my eyes that has taken 6 weeks to heal. Although, I should have been wearing goggles and can do it next time, I really should not do all of the cleaning that is involved in the rest of the glass door. It is a very old door as bisous describes above with lots of nooks and crannies. My doctor actually told me not to clean any more mold, but to hire that out. Al Well, I don't have a regular cleaning person and no one wants to come to clean mold off of a glass door! Also, as this point I am not even using this shower stall...I just want the ability to use it in the future. Anyway, I know people have different scenarios, but I am happy to hear that some have successfully used a curtain.
    I agree! As I mentioned, our old shower stall was builder grade and had a ton of nooks and crannies and the tracks. Ugh. The previous owners hadn't done a great job of taking care of it and it was just old. I tried spraying it down after each shower in the morning, but when you're dashing off to work, there never seems to be enough time. That's why if we ever do get a new door, I'd like it to be frameless. The shower curtain liner does get grody, but i can just toss it in the wash. And if it gets too bad, I just buy a new one. It's seriously saved my sanity.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had a shower door on the shower stall in my old house, and it was disgusting. At the new house we have a stall with a shower curtain. I have had the same curtain at least 3 years. It is starting to get a little dingy, so I'm replacing it. Four dollars at the local odd lot chain. I'd rather buy new shower curtains every year than deal with a nasty door.
    DS 6/09

Ugh! Can you switch it for a seamless door? That's what I was thinking of. The others are a total pain to clean.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    Ugh! Can you switch it for a seamless door? That's what I was thinking of. The others are a total pain to clean.
    Hmmn, I have not seen one of these in person. Are there still tracks on the shower?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Hmmn, I have not seen one of these in person. Are there still tracks on the shower?
    No. Google frameless glass shower doors for pictures.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast