Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thinking of Joining the YMCA

I've taken to swimming laps at the town pool this summer and discovered it's something I really enjoy. With the pool closing after Labor Day. I'm thinking of joining the YMCA so I can keep it up in the indoor pool. The biggest drawback is that it's pretty far from my house and from work...
    Does anyone on here belong to their local YMCA? Do you like it? What specifically do you like about it? How's the cost?
    TIA!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've been amazed at hot different they all are wrt price and amenities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know distance is a killer for me. The club I belong to is a little over a mile from my house. That was key for me. Many club/gyms don't have pools around here which is what I was looking for so thankfully this one does.

DH used to work for a company that had a great deal with the Y in our area. Instead of $140/month I pay to our local place for our family it would have been under $75 but it was super close to his office and 20 minutes from our house. I knew I wouldn't make that.

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not all YMCAs are the same. Cost depends on area too. I moved from Houston where we had an amazing YMCA to a place where the nearest YMCA was pretty crappy amenities wise. I recently rejoined because there was a new YMCA that opened up near me. Cost-wise it's expensive. $100 over for one adult plus kids but I love the classes at the new YMCA and the new pool's pretty cool.

I'd visit the YMCA closest to you and decide if it's worth the cost. I'd also look into joining a gym with an indoor pool closer to you.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Shop around! Our YMCA cost the same as a local private club, but had far fewer amenities and some odd rules that were a deal breaker for us. Rules like my 10 yo couldn't go to the Y "child watch" but also couldn't be alone at the Y, so basically I could never workout unless he was in school or in a Y class or had another adult to watch him. I thought that was nuts. We stayed with the private gym for about 3 years and loved it. It wasn't close to home at all, but it was so much fun for the whole family to go there and that was very motivating for our family.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our Y is really nice. It is $72 per month for a family of four. Swim lessons are an additional cost, but open swim time is free. Some of the kid classes have been hit or miss. We don't use it as often as we should, but we really like it.
    Last edited by PZMommy; 08-28-2016 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Mistake

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Our Y is really nice. It is $72 per year for a family of four. Swim lessons are an additional cost, but open swim time is free. Some of the kid classes have been hit or miss. We don't use it as often as we should, but we really like it.
    $72 per year????? Wow. Ours is $95 per month for a family of 4.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Love,love,love my local Y! We pay $110/month for a family membership. I go 5+ times a week and it is like my second home. Love the staff, instructors and have lots of friends there. However it is also 5 minutes from my house. I grew up in another state that also had a nice Y system and everyone we knew was a member. However where DH grew up the Y was not very nice and still considered a place for the needy to go for a place to stay. So whenever it comes up that we go to the Y he feels the need to tell people how nice it is. I think it is funny and obviously a reflection of how different it is in different areas.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

By month. I will go edit.

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

Ours is $150/month!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast