Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default What do you think is safer?

DS2 has soccer practice twice a week at a huge sports park with no playground and horrible parking. I do feel comfortable leaving him at practice because I know the coach really well. Still, he is only 9 so it does make me a little nervous. But actually I'm asking about pickup and drop off. At issue is that the practice is held in the middle of the complex. To take my little kids with me means lugging my giant double stroller with me in and out of the car four times for each practice day. I'm trying to avoid that! It is hard to find parking and then a long walk to the field. I have to navigate around different teams' practice fields and then the practices routinely run over so it takes longer than I'd like.

What do you think is safer for my 2.5 and nearly 5yo?

a. Leave the kids home with 12yo DS1. The longest I'd be gone is 30 minutes each for drop off and pickup.

b. Bring everyone with me but leave them in the car with DS1, parked in the parking lot but sort of far from where I actually am. I CAN see them but it would be a significant jog to get to them and intervene. DS3 (the 5yo) can get out of his car seat now!

I like having them in the car because I feel like they are closer and I don't like being separated from them for so long. All the kids prefer to stay at home. I've brought one kid with me before but my kids are crazy active and it is HARD. They don't sit, usually have tantrums. Yeah. I hate this part of my day. DS1 never did sports and I didn't realize how lucky I was in some respects although I absolutely LOVE what soccer does for DS2! Last year they practiced in a small park and it was no issue whatsoever. I just stayed at the park with all the kids and it was fun.

TIA!

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been in the same predicament with that sort of field and my younger kids are pretty much around the same age as yours. I'd ditch the giant double stroller and use a single stroller which is easier to navigate with and have the 4 year old walk with you.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Check and see what the league rules are Ours must have a parent on site for some age groups OR a parent that agrees to be in charge of your child should something happen. Lightening is the issue here if there is a storm blow up they must get into a vehicle the club house is locked and the pavilion is not allowed as a shelter. U8-U10 is our academy team and must have a parent or someone who is designated on site during the practices. I stay with my 7( almost 8 ) yr old who plays U9
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Unless it is required that you stay for the practice I would be find leaving your younger kids home with your DS1 as long as you are comfortable with him being home alone. I would put on a movie or a show that will hold all of their attention. In the winter I would be fine leaving the kids in the car with Ds1 if you needed to, but not when it is really hot outside.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thank you for your opinions. I don't think my almost 5yo will walk with me. He's THAT hard. It isn't hot in the car at all and I leave DS1 there with access to the doors etc. I asked about leaving the kids at the field and when that was okay to do and around here that is after age 8. Most parents definitely drop off at the soccer field. I don't think my kids have ever seen lightning, lol, but it does worry me that they'd be left high and dry in any kind of emergency!

Alternate which child you take/leave. You get 1:1 time with that little one at the park, and your DS only has one to supervise. Good bonding time with big brother.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    Alternate which child you take/leave. You get 1:1 time with that little one at the park, and your DS only has one to supervise. Good bonding time with big brother.
    I can see the appeal there. That could work. It would be better for DS1 not to be in charge of both little people. My little kids are not very cooperative (actually incredibly annoying and embarrassing in public) but I can live with that...I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    That is a good option. I would take the 2.5 year old and single stroller with me, as I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving MY ds2 to a older sibling, only because he gets into real mischief most times! Leaving the 5 year old would make me feel slightly more comfortable, to do that quick drop off/pickup. Although 30 mins is quite long for that kind of drop off/pickup? Do you mean to say it's 30 mins each time you leave for the drop off and pick up? Or altogether which makes it really only 15 mins out of house each time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

In our state, 12 is fine to be in charge of kids. I started doing quick errands and leaving the kids home when ds1 turned 12. It was wonderful so that's my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I can see the appeal there. That could work. It would be better for DS1 not to be in charge of both little people. My little kids are not very cooperative (actually incredibly annoying and embarrassing in public) but I can live with that...I think.
    I would most likely leave the 2.5 yr. old with DS1 then since I know you have mentioned that your DS3 is a bit of a handful.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast