knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default craigslist buying question

I have been scouting CL for a used clarinet for my son. I found one, and the listing says

Yamaha Clarinet in case given to daughter. We dont play or know really anything about the instrument. Looks complete. Please make an offer.

I think $150 is a fair price, based on what these are selling for in my area.

I made up with the seller to meet him in the parking lot of the public library near his home to look (and probably purchase) it. Should I email him and let him know that $150 is my offer? I don't want to spend the time driving there (all in all, it will be about an hour) if he's not going to take it. Or is that silly, and I should just try to go and negotiate? (I am not a good negotiator!)
    tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Anytime I've purchased something through CL the price has been set before the meeting.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I always set the price ahead of time, and it only changes if the item was not the condition stated in the listing. I would tell him $150, under the condition it is complete. Because they don't know anything about the instrument, or if it is even complete, I would be tempted to offer a little less, because you are assuming some risk.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree you should negotiate before meeting. Sometimes I'll ask "what's the lowest price you'd accept?" or something to that effect. If no price was discussed before meeting I assume the price is what was listed in the ad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Update: Usually I follow what you guys say to the T-- I mean, I take the advice of the BBB ladies VERY SERIOUSLY!

I'm not sure what happened. The guy texted me, and I had a very quick window of time to leave the house, go to the bank machine, and meet him before I needed to pick up my preschooler. So I totally forgot to negotiate with him prior. I was prepared to give him $150.

I met him in the parking lot of a doughnut store. I asked him, "How much were you looking to get for this?" He said, " WEll, someone else offered my $30, but he never showed." So I took a good look at the instrument, and it seemed to be in excellent shape, and a HUGE step up from the $75.00 ones sold on amazon..... Had the guy known what he was talking about, he could have easily gotten $150.

But, really, I felt bad for him, and I didn't want to take advantage of him. So I said, "Look-- given the condition of this, I think $30 is a little low and that would be taking advantage of you. " I figured 1/2 of $150 was $75, but I only had 20s on me. So I said, "I think $80 would be fair."

He was thrilled....and so was I! So it was a win-win. He was clearly a bit down and out and facing some financial difficulties, and I got a great clarinet for my son. Rentals here are $19 per month, so if I only get 4 months out of it (unlikely) -- then I came out ahead. Hooray!
    tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12

Great update!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What a great outcome for both of you!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie