Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5th grade math

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default 5th grade math

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get an idea of what is covered in 5th grade math? Are common core websites the best place to look?

Ds did exceptionally well in math (like 95%ile) through 3rd grade. He had to change schools in 4th grade for logistical reasons. Several parents had told me the school he went into did poorly with math, but I thought it would be okay because he was so advanced and because his teacher last year voluntarily put him and another child in an advanced group and gave them some separate instruction. At some point I realized he really lost a lot of his skills. This has been reflected in both standardized testing (however flawed going from 95%ile to 27%ile is significant) as his difficulty with the now regular 5th grade instruction he is receiving. I know some kids drop around this time as they don't catch on as well to the abstract reasoning that becomes required, but I don't think that's the problem here. I have e-mailed his current teacher..but not sure how much help she can be or what I am even asking of her.

Told the whole story above in case anyone has any advice...at this point I just want to make sure he is solidly at the 5th grade level by the end of the year.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JustMe; 09-23-2016 at 01:52 AM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DD1 just started 5th grade and honestly, I'd like to know too! Sorry to not be more helpful - but I'll be following this one.

for Sandy Hook

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Common core websites should give you a good overview of the standard material. I'd be surprised to see a drop that significant. I'd likely chalk it up to a bad testing day, but it sounds like you have other indicators that things are amiss as well.

If you want to supplement at home, I'd look into either Beast Academy or Mammoth Math.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I live in TX so I googled and found this. http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/...11/ch111a.html you can scroll down and find 5th grade. Maybe your state has a similar outline.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

Default 5th grade math

Our school does Everyday Math. Here's a link. You can click on the different units and see worksheets for the various concepts.

http://everydaymath.uchicago.edu/par...de/em-at-home/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 09-23-2016 at 10:17 AM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Does he have a math book you can look through? Our schools used to use Everyday Math. Last year, they changed to Math Expressions. My youngest did EDM in 1st and had no issues with ME in 2nd. But, I thought there was a big gap from EDM in 3rd to ME in 4th. It seemed a bunch of kids struggled last year with it. So even though both follow the Common Core, they are still different levels.

We use Moby Max for extra at home. Khan Academy has math by grades as well.
    Kris

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The education store near me has these great Common Core foldout pamphlets that show everything a kid needs to know to meet the standards at each grade level. This one from Amazon is either similar or the same:

https://www.amazon.com/Math-Common-G...mmon+core+math
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Common core info is less helpful than what math program the school uses. Each has a variation on the vocabulary that can be confusing to kids when switching around. 5th is also when the abstract comes in more and more. Some kids have a problem making that leap. Knowing his particular weaknesses would be helpful to remediation.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use MobyMax to help supplement my 5th grader in math. They go by grade.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Maybe register online and use the Khan academy stuff. It is organized by grade level and has videos + math practice. My Ds is enjoying it quite a bit. In years past I have bought my own math curriculum and just done it at home for about 20-30 minutes a day. His old school used Everyday Math and it just didn't work well for Ds so we did it on our own at home and he has been fine.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast