niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Contractor may not honor 10% coupon on Angie's List

We're interviewing design/build firms for a fairly extensive remodel. I found one on Houzz and emailed them through there. Then I looked up reviews on Angie's List and saw they off a coupon for 10% off if job is over $50,000 - ours is. We met with them last night for free consultation. I forgot to mention Angie's List and 10% off. We're meeting with other firms this week, so didn't decide anything with me - ideas were thrown around and ball park figures, nothing specific. I emailed right after the meeting saying "Oh, I forgot to tell you we are Angie's List members and wanted to use the 10% coupon". The response was "Let me know if you have any further questions, about the 10%, we first need to see what the cost of the project is, however, we will provide you with the best reasonable price that we can offer once we see the architectural details."

That sounds to me like they won't honor the 10% off. I want to reply with something about not knowing there were other conditions attached to the offer as none were listed on Angie's list and to please let us know what those are as it will factor into our decision making. In other words, honor the 10% or bye bye - if you're already reneging things now, I don't trust working with you. One problem is that we did really like their ideas and their firm does a lot of what we want - reconfiguring several rooms and they get good reviews on Houzz and Angie's list for staying on budget and getting a lot for the budget.

Also, should I be suspicious if the reviews on Houzz and Angie's list are exactly the same. It is possible that people review on Houzz then go to Angie's List if the firm asked them to do both...Angie's list has a couple more reviews than Houzz does.

Thanks.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Send me a PM as an extended family member is a contractor in your area. Not sure how busy he is, but his work is beautiful. No idea about the Angie's List or Houzz reviews; maybe they are linked. I think the contractor gave a contractor like response as he doesn't want to promise anything and then not be able to deliver. I wouldn't be unhappy with his response. Please make sure he has current workers comp insurance as well and or make sure that his subs. are covered.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

DH wants to wait and talk to the other firms we're talking to to get an idea of costs before we push anything on the 10% coupon. He's got a point that when places offer 10% off, they may just raise price 10% to then take it off. We're currently looking at design build firms as need a fair bit of work done and neither of us can really coordinate a large project. But send me your family member's details as we are talking to architects too and will need to find a contractor if go that route instead of a design build firm.
    Last edited by niccig; 09-23-2016 at 07:47 PM.

No reputable contractor can really offer a true 10% off coupon. It is a big ticket item and there are cost overruns and they just adjust the bid for coupon holders. His response wasn't troubling but I certainly wouldn't shop for a contractor based on coupons. Get at least two bids from reputable contractors (I did three) and then actually contact references for a brief chat and go with who has good work, references and good bid. If someone is way lower than the other two (if you do three) it can be a red flag. Good luck. I would check circuit records and see if they have ever been sued and definitely make sure they are up to date on insurance and get lien waivers each time you make a payment. Exciting but lots of work I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    No reputable contractor can really offer a true 10% off coupon. It is a big ticket item and there are cost overruns and they just adjust the bid for coupon holders. His response wasn't troubling but I certainly wouldn't shop for a contractor based on coupons. Get at least two bids from reputable contractors (I did three) and then actually contact references for a brief chat and go with who has good work, references and good bid. If someone is way lower than the other two (if you do three) it can be a red flag. Good luck. I would check circuit records and see if they have ever been sued and definitely make sure they are up to date on insurance and get lien waivers each time you make a payment. Exciting but lots of work I know.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We got references of finished work to call, and they said we can visit a couple of current job sites once they get owner's permission for us to be there.
    What do you mean by lien waivers? How do we check if up to date on insurance? They said they permit everything and everyone of their crew is licensed and insured. We're not going to be here during work day to actually check up everyone though. We're new to doing a major remodel, so we have no idea what we're doing.

We're talking to a couple other design/build firms then separately with some architects.

It is exciting but overwhelming too. Our main concern is fixing the funky layout of our house. I want a bigger kitchen out of the deal, but the layout is the concern over any finishes.
    Last edited by niccig; 09-23-2016 at 08:18 PM.

I'm guessing they would build the 10% into their bid. Skip anyone who uses coupons IMO for things like that.

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Discounts get built in to the cost. I would compare bids, and pick who you like the best, regardless of coupons.
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

I'd feel uncomfortable using them and here's why: they shouldn't have offered the coupon in the first place. I mean, yeah of course they're just going to add 10%. It's still skeezy to pretend they're offering a discount. What else will they fib about? My gut wouldn't let me spend $50k with them.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Coupons like that aren't really coupons. It is just an advertising tool.

Same as the store near us that has been going out of business for 20 years