Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Is there anyone you can ask locally? I'd find out what the kids wear at the school your kids will be attending. What's popular here might not be there, especially when you're talking about Europe. I remember going to boarding school in England with white socks and sneakers! Boy did I get teased for those!!! Where I live, Bogs are only shoulder season boots, like colder weather rain boots. They're not great for snow play, because they don't have gaiters, which are fabric uppers that cinch with a cord or elastic so snow can't get in. And in our neck of the woods boots are only outdoor shoes, so the classrooms have boot trays where the kids leave their boots and change into regular shoes. They don't wear their boots all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Very good point! I'm asking around here too....but I just can't resist some good BBB advice! : ) I didn't think about the gaiters part in considering what would work for a boot though, so I'm glad you brought that up. Our area apparently gets almost zero snow some years, and decent snow other years....so want to be prepared for snow playing too!
    Lizi

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Minnesota here, the land of 6 months of tundra....

The little's (ages 4 and 7) were them year round. Great in the winter for sure (we wear them with long snow pants with built in gaiter), but also in 90' summer. They take them off at school to minimize tracking in mud and slush.

They love them!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Very good point! I'm asking around here too....but I just can't resist some good BBB advice! : ) I didn't think about the gaiters part in considering what would work for a boot though, so I'm glad you brought that up. Our area apparently gets almost zero snow some years, and decent snow other years....so want to be prepared for snow playing too!
    Have you bought your girls snow pants? DD has snow pants with built-in gaiters, which is what I always look for. We got hers at Target.

In my opinion, the advantage of boots with gaiters paired with snow pants with gaiters is a dry foot, which is a warm foot. We secure the boot-gaiter around the pant-leg gaiter.

ETA: HOWEVER, if you want something that's a bit more multi-use, and you might, get the Bogs. When you put the snow pants on your kids, be sure to tuck (this isn't the right word for what I want to describe, though) into the boot shaft to create a seal.

If you find it's difficult, try using a plastic bread bag or similar kind of plastic to keep the gaiter in place while putting the boot on.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 09-27-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I'll be the odd one out and say that we haven't loved our Bogs. If the kids go through a puddle of water or slush, the waterproof part of the boot doesn't go up high enough, so the neoprene(? Not sure what the material is) gets all wet on their legs. However, they are very popular in our cold and snowy climate. Maybe my kids are more in love with puddles than others?

ETA: For winter boots, we do Lands End, Sorel, Kamik - whatever I find a deal on.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    I'll be the odd one out and say that we haven't loved our Bogs. If the kids go through a puddle of water or slush, the waterproof part of the boot doesn't go up high enough, so the neoprene(? Not sure what the material is) gets all wet on their legs. However, they are very popular in our cold and snowy climate. Maybe my kids are more in love with puddles than others?

ETA: For winter boots, we do Lands End, Sorel, Kamik - whatever I find a deal on.
    Wait...the entire boot isn't waterproof? Like, only the bottom part (as in, most of the bogs I'm seeing have a different color for the bottom and the leg shaft part) -- you're saying only the bottom part is waterproof and the top part isn't? That seems like a recipe for wet legs to me...and I have a daughter who tends to all things dirty and wet...so she's probably like your kids...
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Wait...the entire boot isn't waterproof? Like, only the bottom part (as in, most of the bogs I'm seeing have a different color for the bottom and the leg shaft part) -- you're saying only the bottom part is waterproof and the top part isn't? That seems like a recipe for wet legs to me...and I have a daughter who tends to all things dirty and wet...so she's probably like your kids...
    Yes, that's how my Dd's were - not waterproof on the leg shaft. It was a couple years ago and I don't have them anymore to test them again, but that was our experience. We just use traditional rain boots and snow boots now.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

I look on Sierra Trading Post--they have great deals on snow boots. I used LE and LLB when the kids were little. Bogs don't work for us.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2