Default Recaro Performance HBB vs. Chicco Kidfit HBB

DD is just about 6years old, but tall for her age: 48" and 51lbs. and has grown out of her Britax MA My car is the one we use most often and usually take for long trips, plus she occasionally falls asleep in the car. Therefore I was looking at a HBB that would be considered very comfortable for long car rides and has side wings for when she sleeps. (Both grandparents have the Graco Affix which she likes, but I was thinking it may not be as comfortable for long road trips. Anyone used that for long car rides?)

After reading reviews and comments on this board I was ready to buy the Recaro Performance HBB, but I am concerned that it might be too big/wide for my car. I definitely don't want something bigger than the Britax MA. So I am also looking at the Chicco Keyfit. I have never had a Recaro or Chicco before. Both seem to be reviewed positively on this board. I haven't seen either in person. Any thoughts (likes/dislikes) between the two? Which one???
    Last edited by SoCalMommy; 09-24-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just moved my daughter (5) to the kid fit. She looks so comfortable. She fell asleep last weekend and she did perfect in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

have not tried it he Chicco but the recaro is wide. Not an issue for us as its in a captains chair currently. DS (7yo) said he likes it though. For some reason you can't use it as a lbb. Maybe that's not so anymore.
    We also have him in a Diono and a britax parkway. He said he likes the parkway best. They all are really nice seats as far as I'm concerned.
    I would try the Chicco in your situation, or a parkway.
    DD
    DS

As much as we loved our Britax MA, we did try the Parkway and DD was not comfortable.

Target and BRU both carry the Kidfit in store. Can you have her sit in it and see if she thinks it is comfy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Good idea gymnbomb! I would love to see the Recaro in person too. I am tempted to buy both and see how it fits in the car if I can return without issues.

Just curious, is there anyone out there that had/has a Britax MA 70 and went to the Recaro performance HBB? I am curious if you thought it took up more room in your car than the Britax?
    Last edited by SoCalMommy; 09-25-2016 at 11:39 AM.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just posted on your other thread but we have the recaro and DS really likes it - he's a pretty tall 8 year old and has many notches to go - I think he's on the 5th height of 11. It is very wide but the marathon is pretty big too - I had a MA 70 but don't have it handy to compare. What car is it going in? Have you looked at any other booster reviews? I assume you don't want to spend a zillion dollars on a booster?

The recaro is also esp good if your car if where the seatbelt mounts on the side is far from the seatback - no issues with it retracting.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have the Recaro and yes, it's big but it works for our vehicles. Like PP said, it's especially good if the car seatbelt mount is way off to the side or way forward of the seatback. The other reason we got it is because you can use it without the vehicle headrest so I would check on that for the kidfit. We have to take off the vehicle headrests in order for the booster to sit flush against the vehicle seatback.

The seat pan is deep too, which is nice if you have a kid who needs that thigh support.

The size can be a disadvantage if your back seat is cramped - think of both seat width (will the wide Recaro cover up the buckle stalk?) and front-to-back space (the back of the Recaro is thick - it will put your kid that much closer to the back of the front seats. Is there enough room?).

In bigger cars like minivans or cars where you can adjust the position of the second row, it's probably less of an issue. We currently have our Recaros in a Ford Explorer (BIG car, IMO), and the second row is not adjustable so despite the fact that the ford is slightly bigger than our minivan, the girls actually have LESS room in the backseat.

We tried the Recaro and as much as I liked it, it didn't fit as well with our car (Acura MDX). We have split seats and a third row, and it was a bit wider than our Britax so we couldn't put the seat down, which we use all the time and especially when we go camping. We did take the car head rest off for both (Recaro and Chicco Kid fit) and the Kidfit is good so far. It converts to backless when/if the time comes (Recaro does not) so that is a plus. We seem to have plenty of head room so far and I got a great deal on it.