Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default ISO buying an SUV.....Costco Auto

I was looking for something safe but inexpensive for the babysitter to ferry kids back and forth. It looks like the Jeep Patriot is on the lower end cost wise? Would love some recommendations, the lower the cost the better, and some advice on where to buy from. Is the Costco auto buying program the best? I hate to haggle!!
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default ISO buying an SUV.....Costco Auto

Read reviews. I just did a ton of SUV research and the Jeeps were bottom of every list. A used CRV, Forester or RAV4 would e good.
    On Edmunds, you can send out for instant, no haggle quotes from a bunch of local dealerships. Painless. I also have friends who've been happy with Carmax type places.
    Eta- I didn't do Costco bc they required you to go in for the price. I hate that crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Does it have to be a SUV? Why not a safe, reliable sedan? Not sure of the ages of your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Does it have to be a SUV? Why not a safe, reliable sedan? Not sure of the ages of your kids.
    I was thinking this too. We had a Jeep Patriot as a rental last summer and I think the back seat of something like a Camry is much more comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Wouldn't get that car if safety is top of the list. As others said, maybe a good safe sedan or if really want an SUV keep looking.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok so no jeep, still have to be an SUV because they are easier to get in and out for older people (grandparents) so I think an SUV or a minivan would be best as a second car. Mostly I was wondering how/where to buy from. Costco does online quotes, but sounds like Edmonds would be a good bet as well?
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I couldn't get Costco, on the 2 separate car purchases I tried, to do an online quote. My Costco seems to have a deal with one dealer of each sort in my city and both refused to give me quotes by phone or email. I suppose it could differ but I thought maybe it was a Costco buying thing.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, a minivan is going to be cheaper often, especially if you don't want a fancy one. Easier than an SUV for kids and older people too. How many kids do you need transported? The sliding doors are perfect for kids.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I couldn't get Costco, on the 2 separate car purchases I tried, to do an online quote. My Costco seems to have a deal with one dealer of each sort in my city and both refused to give me quotes by phone or email. I suppose it could differ but I thought maybe it was a Costco buying thing.

You have to go to the dealer and test drive the car and then they will show you the price. I used the Costco program when I bought my VW and that was fine with me because I hadn't test drove the car yet. One dealer near me advertised that they were the Costco dealer and they gave me a price of $300 under invoice. Then I went home and I filled ou the Costco form online and they sent me to another dealer and since DH wanted to drive the car we drove it again and got that Costco dealer price, which was $500 under invoice. We ended up buying the car from the second dealer. Overall I thought the process was painless and both dealers had good customer service and weren't pushy. I had researched prices through the VW forums so I knew what a great price was based on the feedback I got from others.

If you don't want to deal with the whole test drive thing then look at TrueCar as they will give you the coupon with $x off the MSRP. If you don't know the invoice price of the car you can look that up on CostcoAuto without a Costco membership. The price is going to vary based on the car though.

Friends of mine have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a Jeep Compass and are happy with them. I have never owned one so I can't help you there. We have a 2006 Honda Pilot and it has a 175k miles on it and are happy with it.

ETA: people on this board a very weary of anything that isn't Honda, Toyota, or Subaru so you might want to do more research. Mazda, Nissan, Hyuandai might also be good cars as well.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-26-2016 at 11:47 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

we have a Mazda CX7. DH's car, bought it when they first brought out that model. Have been very happy with it. I believe they now have a CX5, CX7 and CX9 (which has a 3rd row option).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast