Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    DD1 is a "late reader". She stills is, and it's a struggle to get her to sit down and read. It's especially frustrating to me (I feel your pain!) because twin sister DD1 was a very EARLY reader and so even if we weren't trying to compare, we'd compare!

Definitely just don't push it and read aloud to him whenever possible (my kids are 8 and STILL LOVE THIS). When he starts getting to the point where he wants to read independently, then bring him to the bookstore/library and have him pick what he's interested in. That's been the biggest thing for DD1 - allowing her to choose books that she's interested in and not what WE think she should be reading. For us, this means being OK with buying her "baby books". She still loves hard cover picture books with very few words. It's hard because these are basically baby books but we have to be OK with allowing her to enjoy them, as long as she is reading the words, no matter how few. She is also interested in joke books so we just went to the library to get her those, and she is interested in Minecraft books and comic books.

DD2 on the other hand is immersed in chapter books and has plowed through the BFG, the Ramona books, and several other series. And that's just not something DD1 is going to do for a while yet.

Bottom line is that reading can be learned using virtually ANY content. So, choose the content that he's most interested in (it's like our music teacher says...you can learn to read music using ANY type of music, so why not choose songs that the kids are actually interested in?).

eta: I realized that I just called my DD1 a "late reader" - she's really not. She's reading pretty much on target with what the schools expect for 2nd grade. It's just that DD2 reads at like a 4th/5th grade level so that just makes it SEEM like DD1 is behind. See? I'm still comparing even though I'm trying not to!!!
    I appreciate your perspective--thanks for sharing!
    K

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD (now in 4th grade) hated those BOB books. She loved being read to her whole babyhood/childhood. In K, she really struggled. I vividly remember my mother demanding that my DD read her a Biscuit book on Christmas night after a long day of toy opening, company, big meals, candy canes, etc. I watched my DD struggle through it to please my mom and I was in the kitchen. They gave up half way through. My DD was clearly not a strong early reader. Her K teacher was fine with it though, he constantly told me to do nothing and let them work on it in school.
    Fast forward to last spring, and my new 9 year old read Pride and Prejudice, the unabridged version of Little Women, and Jane Eyre. She is a veracious reader. She reads and understands books at the highest level and tests in the 99 percentile on reading comprehension consistently. We can't find enough books for her.
    So there is really NO CORRELATION between early reading and being a reader. There is tho a great correlation between being read to and loving to read. So keep reading to him and don't ask him to name any of the words, etc. if it is a battle for him. He is strong willed... just let him lead at his own pace.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

He's really young. Reading is not easy and taking his time is perfectly developmentally normal. I remember both my kids resisting efforts to get them to read, but they happily picked up books and looked at them when there was no pressure. For DD1 it was those ridiculous BOB books that made her realize she *could* actually read, just needed to start small. At the time we were reading her long books and reading seemed overwhelming. For DD2, it was graphic novels. Try getting him an "Owly" book which is no words, just cartoons, and then move on to really easy comic books.

If it's any consolation to you, my 6 year old is "refusing" to learn how to ride a bike. But I know she is mostly terrified, not just stubborn! She was the same way about swimming until one day things clicked. They will figure these things out in due course.

for Sandy Hook

I've said this before: there is a huge difference between memorizing and "reading" (comprehension). I see so many parents get competitive about how their kid is reading early when all they are doing is memorizing. The kids I have observed who read early tend to not have as good as comprehension as those who read later (barring other difficulties).
    You have had great advice and good luck!

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I totally understand wanting to push reading. I was reading by age 2. Starting when dd1 was 4, my mother wanted to know why she STILL could not read. Prior to Kindy, she declared she did not want to learn. She resisted efforts to teach her. Based in part on advice from this board, I let it go. In kindy, she did start to learn to read and quickly went to the upper end of her class but nothing outrageous. Now, in grade 5, she's reading at an 8grade + level and reads ALL.THE.TIME.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You relax. When he's ready he will read. The more you push, the more he will push back, as you are seeing. All you should be doing is reading to him. That's really it. No flash cards. No worksheets. No online programs.
    Step back. He will learn. He's still a baby!
    Signed,
    Former k teacher and 3rd time k mom of a non-reader
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My oldest is in a Waldorf inspired program and is a year older and not really anywhere near reading. I read at 3, started K at 4, and could read just about anything even in K or 1st, but I felt a lot of stress and pressure at school even being at the top of my class. So I'm taking it slow with my kids and they seem relaxed and happy about it. We read millions of books together and they love that. It'll be ok!
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD is a slow(er) reader. But conversely, her comprehension of what we read to her is astounding. Quite the opposite of DS--a very fast reader, just seemed to pick it up on his own, and was reading chapter books at the same age as DD who is just mastering One Fish, Two Fish, and Hop on Pop now. I agree, read to your child and exhibit a love of reading.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't read all of the responses, but I think your DS is still very young. My DC is now in K and most of the class does not know how to read (including DC). When DC was in pre-K I tried to start teaching reading, but DC showed little interested. The teachers said not to push it or we risked turning DC off of reading. I am trusting it will click when DC is ready.

Just wanted to say that my DS is a few months older than yours and has very little interest in reading, despite having learned his alphabet and sounds a long time ago. In some ways I think he gets bored with it, hated the bob books, etc. DD seems much more interested in the little word puzzles, etc. I have no doubt he'll start to read when he's motivated, and in the meantime we just read a lot as a family.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast