Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Breast biopsy?

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Breast biopsy?

I had my first baseline mammogram on Friday and they came back in to do additional images, then had me do an ultrasound. The radiologist found two spots that are "low level suspicion" but wants me to have a biopsy next week. She then proceeded to tell me not to freak out . I am trying to remind myself that it's not worth wasting mental energy worrying about it, but it's tough.
    The biopsy is Wednesday then I have to go back Friday for the results in person (standard practice at the hospital).

So, any btdt? Also- I have the option to take a xanax before but not sure if it's necessary? I have taken it before so I do know that I tolerate well and DH is going with me so I have a driver. Thoughts on that part?

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had a fine needle extraction of breast fluid in a suspicious lump. It came back clear. I think it's stressful but unless you are having issues functioning I'd skip the tablet. Good luck! I think in general,people are hyper vigilant and so expect this will be ok. P&PT
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

First of all, I'm very sorry you're going through this. I know it's extremely stressful. I had a core needle biopsy done last year, but the radiologist who performed my ultrasound/mammogram had already suspected breast cancer, so I "knew" what my result would be. (Turns out she was right.) The fact that they think it's a "low level" risk is very encouraging.

I was also given the option for a Xanax, even though DH came with me as a driver. I declined, because I had never taken it before. I just managed to stay very, very still throughout the procedure, particularly when I knew they were going in for the actual samples. I even held my breath during that portion. Afterwards, I was a little sore from staying in the same position from so long, but it wasn't too terrible.

Good luck! Sending you lots of P&PT for a negative result!
    Last edited by wencit; 10-16-2016 at 03:57 PM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

No BTDT, but wanted to send P & PT to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with wencit, the fact that they think it's a "low level" risk is very encouraging. My radiologist was also pretty sure it was breast cancer and she was right. I did not find the core biopsy all that difficult or painful, I traveled a few days afterward and it didn't cause me any problems. I wasn't offered Xanax but I also would not have taken it. I didn't need a driver.

We are all different, but my advice would be to not google ahead of where you are in your condition. Take it a step at a time. And I also send you lots of wishes that it is not cancer.
    Last edited by squimp; 10-16-2016 at 04:42 PM.

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you all for your replies and P&PT.

Wencit and Squimp, I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnoses, I hope you are doing as well as could be expected on your journeys.

I am doing a fairly good job of trying not to worry but I know it will be harder once the biopsy is done and I'm just waiting... I appreciate the advice to not Google ahead. I have a tendency to worry about step 5,6, & 7 when I'm on step 1, so I'm really taking that advice to heart!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sending lots of PT. The majority of breast biopsies are negative. And the procedure itself isn't too bad.
    DS age 9

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My mother went thru this last year. She had gone 10+ years without a mammogram!! She just turned 65. They brought her back for multiple am organs and then finally a breast biopsy. She was freaked out. Everything ended up being completely fine (after 2-3 mammograms and 1-2 biopsies). Try not to think the worst. I know it was really hard for her. She said she wouldn't wait so long between mammograms again...
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Positive thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast