Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach_in_Ca View Post
    Not sure where you are, but in our school district they actually are not allowed to give more than "3" in certain marking periods. It depends on what skills have been taught and some overly complicated rubric.

Also, they are no longer "grades" as in olden days, but rather saying if a skill is mastered. So it's not as if missing an assignment can lower a grade since that is more on quality of work and not mastery. It is not until middle school here that they have the traditional type grading.

Personally, I feel like the report cards are a waste of time in my kids case and we don't sweat it.
    They start report cards with grades in 2nd grade here.

This grading period (4th) I expect my son's grades to dip below an A, and maybe even a B. (He had several low grades getting used to the heightened expectations in the new accelerated program and the new grade) but I've decided not to worry about it. He's learning new skills, and definitely learning from his mistakes. THIS is the time I want him learning this stuff. No one cares what your report card grades were in 4th grade. And he definitely has holes he's trying to fill that he should have been taught writing in 3rd grade, but was not. My parents always expected my sister and I to do our best work -- not to get straight As. So that is what I am doing as well.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    My DDs teacher basically said that 4s are a rarity and to not expect to see them.
    Same with our elementary. 4s are highly unusual and atypical. The teachers just give out 3s even for the "outstanding" students.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

BTDT. Yes to what pps have said. 3s most likely will become 4s. It's a strange system that emphasizes acquiring skills and doesn't report specific skill sets. No need to worry he sounds very advanced and will likely just keep on progressing at a good rate.
    K

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Many schools need to show student growth now for teacher and school evaluations due to common core education so starting everyone at a 3 (at best) is the new normal for many schools.
    DD 11/09
    DD 06/11

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4