Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I wouldn't place so much importance on report cards.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My girls are in 5th and 1st. I remember feeling the same way when dd1 was in kindy - I was used to more old school ways of grading were an A would be 95% or whatever. Now, I've gotten used to seeing mostly 3s when my kids are definitely way above meets standards in most things. Now the only time I worry is if they are getting 2s, they back slide ie, 4 to 3 or when the comments aren't glowing. Because that to me shows an effort problem on their part.

Really, I just want to be sure they're doing their best and that they're happy.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Thanks so much for the input ladies. I signed the report card and I will inquire more about the system later when it's time for everyone to do their conferences. DS is happy and loving Kindergarten so I've decided 3's are fine for the time being. I really appreciate all of the feedback.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Am I the only one who is happy and thankful when my DD has fun in gym and music class, masters the monkey bars at recess, and is kind to the other K students? I don't care that she may or may not be utilizing multiplication or reading chapter books in Kindergarten. She is 5.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a 3 level grading system - needs improvement, meets expectations, exceptional. Exceptional is a legendary unicorn in the entire humongous system from what I have heard from other parents. Grades really mean very little in elementary school esp in K.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elizamom View Post
    Thanks so much for the input ladies. I signed the report card and I will inquire more about the system later when it's time for everyone to do their conferences. DS is happy and loving Kindergarten so I've decided 3's are fine for the time being. I really appreciate all of the feedback.
    Yes, the conferences are your best source of info - those are the only times that we get feedback like "she's my best reader, ever" or "she's already where we want her to be by the end of the year in math, so we're sending home more challenging worksheets for her to work on", etc. Our teachers also let us know that our kids are well-matched in their abilities and not bored - they group students together who will challenge each other.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    Am I the only one who is happy and thankful when my DD has fun in gym and music class, masters the monkey bars at recess, and is kind to the other K students? I don't care that she may or may not be utilizing multiplication or reading chapter books in Kindergarten. She is 5.
    I'm with you. But our kindergarten doesn't give grades. We just have teacher conferences twice a year. Teachers also let us know if we have something to address. I think I am going to be so unhappy when we hit first grade.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    My second is currently in K. She is definitely a different kid than her brother. Her brother was reading books like Cat in the Hat before school started. She is able to sound out a few words, but also seems to be guessing because other times she is just entirely wrong. Her brother came home on red and yellow multiple times a week throughout most of K. She hasn't had a negative behavior mark yet in class. Her brother struggled to answer questions about books he read. He was definitely reading (and enjoyed reading!) But comprehension I was never quite sure about. She can answer questions about the pictures in the books we read. She'll flip back a page or two and notice differences between them.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I'm with you. But our kindergarten doesn't give grades. We just have teacher conferences twice a year. Teachers also let us know if we have something to address. I think I am going to be so unhappy when we hit first grade.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Same for us with DS1. We're having first teacher conference in 2 weeks time, and I don't think they do any grading system. Informal or not. Just areas to focus or concerns to address if it comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Not sure where you are, but in our school district they actually are not allowed to give more than "3" in certain marking periods. It depends on what skills have been taught and some overly complicated rubric.

Also, they are no longer "grades" as in olden days, but rather saying if a skill is mastered. So it's not as if missing an assignment can lower a grade since that is more on quality of work and not mastery. It is not until middle school here that they have the traditional type grading.

Personally, I feel like the report cards are a waste of time in my kids case and we don't sweat it.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast