Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you guys. I know I will be better in a few days, but it has struck me how rich we have in friends and community. I am always glad to pick up kids and help friends, I love doing it for them, but I HATE asking for help. I always feel like I am a burden when people help me. But this week, after reading all the threads here and just seeing how much my friends and colleagues wanted to help me, I realized it is okay to ask for and to accept help. We are all in this together and we are all better when we work together and help each other.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better and that the community stepped up to help you. I, too, am very independent, but I try to help others when needed as much as I can. I'm happy you're very grateful for everyone!!!
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

Yes, it is hard to ask for help. I will say that having children has humbled me greatly in this regard. Glad you got such awesome support---sound like you have payed "into the pot" for quite some time. Time to take some out.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

One thing I try to remember is that asking for help strengthens and grows a relationship. Being in this situation can lead a casual friendship or neighbor relationship into something much stronger, which is a great mutal long-term benefit of what seems like a short-term, one-side need. Accepting a favor leads to doing a favor, or vice versa. Showing your need helps others see you as human, not some Teflon person.

I say this because I have an old friend who never asks for favors; she's the type who would fly into a city to visit and say, "Don't pick me up, I'll take a cab." But if you are my guest, I WANT to pick you up. I will go out of my way because I care about you, and her independence can blunt my ability to show I care. So I try to remember how I feel being on the receiving end of her independence and remind myself that people like to help, especially in time-limited situations. And that NOT being able to help has made me a bit more distant from my friend than I would like.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    Thank you guys. I know I will be better in a few days, but it has struck me how rich we have in friends and community. I am always glad to pick up kids and help friends, I love doing it for them, but I HATE asking for help. I always feel like I am a burden when people help me. But this week, after reading all the threads here and just seeing how much my friends and colleagues wanted to help me, I realized it is okay to ask for and to accept help. We are all in this together and we are all better when we work together and help each other.
    I'm so glad you're on the mend and have had this opportunity to learn to be less reluctant to ask for help. I really think asking for help can be a true gift to those you ask. It gives them the opportunity to do something kind and helpful. We all want to have opportunities to be kind and helpful! Now you've received the gift of realizing how much people care for you and how much kindness there is around you, and your "village" has been able to feel useful, and kind, and helpful. It's a win-win situation, really!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2