Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Where I work I can use my sick time for kids illnesses, so that is what I usually do. And what the other moms I work with do. But we are in a smaller town and I've never heard of an on call nanny service like that.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Not much advice on your OP. I think, like others have said, a thank you card and GC for a restaurant would be nice.
    But I had to say congrats to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    Where I work I can use my sick time for kids illnesses, so that is what I usually do. And what the other moms I work with do. But we are in a smaller town and I've never heard of an on call nanny service like that.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    This. The parent with the lighter work schedule stays home. I also have not heard of an on-call nanny service and probably couldn't afford it even if it exists here.

As for your original post, I think a gift card to a restaurant for lunch sounds about right. I do agree that there's no need to include your husband's name or his wife's name
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Congratulations!!!!! I also wouldn't send it from your family, just you, or to his family, just to him, but I do think the nature of the gift can include the family. Four tickets to a show or game, for example, so he could take his family, or a restaurant gift certificate that clearly covers two for him and his wife.

We don't have an on-call nanny service in my town either. A sick kid here means someone is staying home from work and taking a vacation or sick day to do it or else both parents are juggling an hour or two at a time so they can each keep their most pressing commitments.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I may be an outlier here, but I think an expensive gift would be kind of odd. In short, he did his job and was a good boss. Theoretically, he's supposed to do that. A $10 Starbucks or lunch place gift card plus a brief thank you note would be sufficient.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I may be an outlier here, but I think an expensive gift would be kind of odd. In short, he did his job and was a good boss. Theoretically, he's supposed to do that. A $10 Starbucks or lunch place gift card plus a brief thank you note would be sufficient.
    I'm with you. A thank you note and $10-15 gc is appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a little confused about that. I can't tell if he's a boss, or if it's a peer jumping in and lending a big hand without being asked by upper management. If it is a boss of some sort, I totally agree he's just doing his job to keep the department running. But if it's truly a coworker, I can understand why the OP wants to do something special.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    This. The parent with the lighter work schedule stays home. I also have not heard of an on-call nanny service and probably couldn't afford it even if it exists here.
    This. DH and I discuss who can stay home. Often we split it - I start work earlier, so I'll go in for the morning and get half a day in, then he goes in and stays later. I have also just taken the entire day, as I have more sick leave than DH. But the deal in that case, is I need time on weekend to catch up on some things.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I was a little confused about that. I can't tell if he's a boss, or if it's a peer jumping in and lending a big hand without being asked by upper management. If it is a boss of some sort, I totally agree he's just doing his job to keep the department running. But if it's truly a coworker, I can understand why the OP wants to do something special.
    My position doesn't change even if it's a colleague versus boss. If I helped someone out and they gave me a 100 present, I would think that there will be many more situations where this will happen again or that he or she spent too much money. I would be thrilled with a coffee, lunch place gc or even a bottle of reasonably priced wine (like 20).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Default How to thank a male coworker

It sounded like there were going to be many more times this person stepped in and I assumed it was a peer not a boss. As a boss, I wouldn't be thrilled to get a gift card as I'd rather you be at work when scheduled. The amount is up to your community norms. Here, never seen a Starbucks gift card given for less than $20 so I'd do at least $20. $10 is two lattes and that seems just sort of silly to do a GC for when he's done larger favors. We don't even have the chain restaurants posted about on this board, we aren't in the 'burbs so it is more than $50 to go out to dinner with a spouse. For $50 that would be a nice lunch for two so that would be nice. Not sure what kind of event tickets people think you should get when they seem shocked by $100 for dinner since tickets here are expensive for sports or plays! And you usually need to know the date unless a GC for their use and still close or more than $100! Not sure you are in a major city but nanny services are not that uncommon even if you aren't aware of them. Portland has them, Eugene, Seattle, Atlanta, Denver and Denver 'burbs, and so on. They are often nanny search firms that also do on call care. Some employers even pay the yearly fee you have to access them. In our market it ranges from $200-275 a year fee paid up front and then a fee to have them get you an an on call nanny that has been background checked and reference checked and interviewed. The fee per use ranges from $10-30 a day and you pay the nanny directly $18-21 an hour depending on how many kids and when (cheaper after 5 pm). Friends use it for sick days but the have professional higher paying jobs and can't always just call in sick and can afford it. We've used them for evening events when our regular nanny was unavailable and the nannies they've sent have been fantastic. Just some background since so many thought it seemed unusual or hadn't heard of it before. Some cities also have sick child care drop in care too, our does. I would rather have my child home if they were sick though. For OP, something will need to change for long term though as it is noticed or will be at some point if the co-worker has to keep covering/picking up the slack. Maybe do a care.com or sitter-city ad and interview some
    care providers who do back-up care so you have someone to call if you are out of sick leave. It is really hard but you need find options. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HannaAddict; 10-30-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3