Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old Lady Acne

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I take spironolactone in a low dose and it is a godsend. Nothing else could touch the cystic acne on my chin. I haven't ever had any bad side effects from it, and it has replaced the topical and oral antibiotics that I used to need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm still breaking out really bad. My chin and nose area are a mess.

I'm super curious if my acne would be improved at all with better OTC treatments? For years all I've done is used Cetaphil. And by years I mean since I was 16 so for over 25 years that's all I've done.

I don't need any moisturizer still.

Or should I just move to stronger meds? Spironolactone and ACzone mentioned in this thread?

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I'm still breaking out really bad. My chin and nose area are a mess.

I'm super curious if my acne would be improved at all with better OTC treatments? For years all I've done is used Cetaphil. And by years I mean since I was 16 so for over 25 years that's all I've done.

I don't need any moisturizer still.

Or should I just move to stronger meds? Spironolactone and ACzone mentioned in this thread?

TIA!
    This is really old so you may have figured it out by now but I will second trying an elimination diet. I started getting deeper cystic type pimples after DC3, along with a few other new symptoms. I went off wheat and dairy and discovered that wheat triggers acne for me. Badly. My skin is the best it's ever been since I quit wheat. Also no more frequent headaches and itchy skin. I can do dairy so long as I don't OVER do it but any little bit of wheat and I get a headache within a few hours and a nasty breakout within a few days. It's a total PITA to be gluten free (and annoying to be accused of jumping on a fad diet <eyeroll> ) but the skin benefits are worth it to me! I wouldn't need makeup at all if I could figure out how to get rid of my dark circles!

ETA I do still take good care of my skin topically, though. I use a clarisonic, which had helped a lot before GF, and I do an AHA nightly (currently Paula's choice AHA gel. But I also like MUAC Gly-luronic or Lac-luronic serums). I find my skin needs a lot more exfoliation than most, though, so YMMV if yours is sensitive or doesn't need as much exfoliation. Now I get maybe 1-2 a month at most (hormonal triggered and small) <knock on wood! Never want to jinx it! lol>.
    Last edited by calebsmama03; 07-21-2017 at 06:36 PM.

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Paula's Choice (regular cleanser, toner, 2% AHA liquid and blemish lotion) and Differin gel (OTC retinoid) have worked wonders for me. Got my first cystic acne in a long time (was just getting normal whiteheads recently) and it's almost gone in 2 days. Used to take well over a month for them to go down. It seems like a lot of steps, but I only use the acne products at night and it really doesn't take any effort. The results are totally worth it.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2