Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default What is your mat leave policy (not for me)

We are a small company and have no mat leave (long story). I have a direct report who is expecting -- what is your company mat leave policy? I am needing to go to the HR head and make a case for something reasonable.

Thanks!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What is your mat leave policy (not for me)

When I was having my DC (6 and 4 years ago), I worked for a small company--around 15 employees. Our stated policy was 6 wks for vaginal delivery, 8 wks for c-section. Most of the employees were hourly/non-professional and, honestly, couldn't afford to stay out any longer than that. My boss was flexible with me and allowed me to take 8 wks even with vaginal delivery and then let me work only M-W-F my 9th week to ease back in.

I think 6 weeks is the absolute minimum I would think reasonable. At least 8 would be ideal, if not 12.

ETA: Above discussed leave was all unpaid. We could use PTO, if we had any, to cover part, but I only got 14 days PTO/yr, so it didn't go far. No STD offered.
    Last edited by BDKmom; 12-01-2016 at 06:54 PM.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you have short term disability policies? A friend works at a pretty large company with no policy. She convinced her managers to give her 12 weeks (only paid by insurance to the extent it was applicable) and then she worked from home for two more months and was paid an hourly rate based on her salary. It allowed her to nurse her baby, etc.

Ours is 3 months at the university and the previous company I worked for was 6 months. 3 months should be the minimum according to me. At the least 8 weeks and then part-time option for the next 4 weeks.
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

All new parents get 2 weeks of paid leave.

If you gave birth, paid an additional 4-6 weeks as short term disability depending on type of delivery. So fathers, parents that adopt or use a surrogate, etc don't get this pay as it is for childbirth recovery not parenting.

All new parents can take a total of 12 weeks of leave. The pay mentioned above covers some of that. The remainder is taken as unpaid leave, but the employee has the option to use vacation time to get a paycheck. Hr does advise that saving at least a little leave time is wise so you can still have sick days or take a little time off as needed.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our company also has very generous flextime options that many parents have utilized, but they definitely are not the norm.

We don't really have paid maternity leave. You use STD, but that doesn't kick until you've been out for 30 calendar days (and then only at 60% of your salary). To be paid for the first month, you need to cobble together sick/vacation days.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The federal government has zero maternity leave. You can use your annual leave, and/or sick leave and unpaid leave through the FMLA. You'll often hear your manager say you're on maternity leave, which is grating on the ears.

6 weeks at full pay for all new parents (mom, dad, same sex partner, adoption). It is classified as parental leave rather than strictly maternity leave. If you have a c section you get an extra 2 weeks which is classified as some sort of medical leave. Can take up to 6 months unpaid if you want to. I hear you can also request longer. You have to have worked there a year to get the paid leave, but they allow newer employees to take unpaid leave without having to qualify for FMLA. I live in a state that also have temporary disability and temporary caregiver leave at reduced pay, but as a state employee I am not eligible for those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I work for a large school district. We get 6 weeks for vaginal delivery, 8 weeks for c section. It is unpaid leave. If you have sick days you can use them, but otherwise it is unpaid. Many teachers have their own short term disability coverage and that can be used if you have it, but our district does not offer us that. FMLA allows us 12 weeks but that runs concurrently with the maternity leave, and again unpaid. With my first, he was born during the summer, so I went back the first day of school which was just shy of 8 weeks (I had a c section, but had been on bedrest for 13 weeks prior to delivery, so had no FMLA time left). With my second, my doctor wrote me out for 12 weeks. He was a preemie with numerous health issues, so I needed every day of that 12 weeks, although it was a huge financial hit for us, as I only got paid for 2 of those 12 weeks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast