Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    On an unrelated note, but reinforcing how little family is valued in our society-- I had to fight to get the day of my daughter's funeral off of work. Despite the company handbook stating that they allow 2 days of unpaid bereavement leave for immediate family my supervisor was extremely unhappy that I wanted the whole day off instead of just a 2-hr block to attend her funeral.
    That's beyond awful!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    This is timely as I am writing our leave policies. I own a small business with less than 50 people. We will likely offer 12 weeks unpaid.

What do companies in Canada do when an employee is out for a year? How is the work absorbed?

I don't think it's as simple as valuing productivity and profit over family. My business doesn't just support the employees that work for it. We make product - the less we make, the fewer employees our manufacturer needs.

I agree that we need more comprehensive maternity leave coverage in this country but I am sensitive to the realities of running a business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right, there definitely needs to be balance to it. But I do think that having a family is very unvalued and looked down upon in our society. When I went to part time so many people were in shock that I would choose to spend my time raising my kids instead of working, as if training the next generation of American citizens is somehow less important work.
    Paid leave sounds awesome but I don't know companies afford that! In other countries, does it have a lot to do with their national healthcare systems, I wonder?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When I had DS, I was switched job assignments for my last 10 weeks at work (physical, heavy lifting work), was gone 12 weeks, and then back at the lighter-duty job 4 weeks before resuming my regular position. They kept my payrate the same for the lighter job, even though it paid less - but I think that was just a courtesy, not required. My 12 weeks off was completely unpaid, except for the vacation time I saved up for that purpose. They did pay for all of my medical insurance during that time, however.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    On an unrelated note, but reinforcing how little family is valued in our society-- I had to fight to get the day of my daughter's funeral off of work. Despite the company handbook stating that they allow 2 days of unpaid bereavement leave for immediate family my supervisor was extremely unhappy that I wanted the whole day off instead of just a 2-hr block to attend her funeral.

This is so horrible. I'm sorry your supervisor was so unsupportive. What a jerk.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4