Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Intimidated by my Instant Pot

Ok, my Black Friday Instant Pot came on Tuesday, and today's my first chance to use it. I have all of the ingredients for beef stew, a 6:30 proposed dinner time, and here it is 5:15 and I'm sitting at my computer, frozen with indecision, not sure which of the approximately 4.6 million beef stew recipes I should follow. One thing they all agree on is that I needed to start cooking 25 minutes ago.

Help? Please? Can't I maybe throw everything in the pot and cook for a while?

Maybe I'll wait until tomorrow...
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have no idea. I am so intimidated and not sure of its value, I want to send mine back!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I have no idea. I am so intimidated and not sure of its value, I want to send mine back!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I looked at the manual and it says rice takes longer (and more steps) than just cooking it on the stove. Beans still require soaking.

I am fully prepared to be wrong on this one, but I'm not certain I made a good call buying this thing. It may not actually fit the way I cook.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    . Beans still require soaking.
    Beans are the one thing I found that the IP helps out a good bit and no, you don't have to soak them, but need to really put a ton of water in there. I bought mine a year or so ago to replace my broken crockpot and I love it as a crockpot and to IP beans and bean soups, but we've hated every meal/meat prep, steamed vegetable, etc.. Tried wild rice in it last night and followed every thing I could find on the internet. Ended up with rice soup and had to drain the water off the rest. Should've stuck to the stove.

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

JBaxter is our resident IP expert. She makes everything in the IP; she'll know what to do!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For what it's worth I usually start with recipes from hip pressure cooking or pressure cooking today websites. If I can't find what I'm looking for I also use the hip pressure cooking chart.

It's intimidating at first but you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Same boat here. I tried steel cut oats the other day and they were chewy (not in a good way) and there was standing water in the pot. But I have this friend on FB who got hers the same day as I did and she has posted 3 or 4 different IP successes already. I want to love it.
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

I got mine over the summer during their sale, and didn't use it much cuz we were grilling outside a lot then. It's finally now I got around to using it, and frankly love the thing!!!!!

I still use stove/oven for certain other things as I feel that isn't replaced well with IP. But I made chili in it one day last week and it was so easy!! I throw 2 dozen eggs in it to make hard boiled eggs, best thing ever!!!!! So so easy to peel vs boiled on stove. There's many more I still want to attempt, but I feel I got my money's worth for what I can do now❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Join a Facebook IP group. Mine are specialized but there are general ones, too. It took me awhile too to get it out of the box, so I did a demo for friends who bought them after me lol
    The trick is to know timings and settings, and the groups really help a lot for that.
    It will be worth it!

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The title of this thread cracked me up. I feel the same way which is why I've never bought one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast