Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default "helpful" stress management

I'm having some stress-related health issues. My doctor's office included in my packet of stuff a handout on "stress management. It has several different suggestions, (yoga, meditation, aroma therapy, ect) but each one starts with....

"Before you begin, be sure that everything that needs to be done is done, and you will be uninterrupted for thirty to sixty minutes."

Let me tell you, oh all knowing medical people, if I had even one day a month where everything that needed to get done was done, and I had a whole, uninterrupted hour to do ANYTHING, I wouldn't be stressed!

Am I the only one who finds this more than a little ridiculous?

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Nope that's absurd. I too am very stressed. I focus on exercise. Sunlight and enough sleep.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Absolutely absurd. I mediate everyday but before it became a habit, I did it as I sat in my bed while I was about to sleep. Some days I would be too tired to concentrate and would just fall asleep, other days I would be too stressed to fall asleep and the meditation helped and didn't feel like it ate away from my time.

Good luck. Stress is hard.
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chottumommy View Post
    Absolutely absurd. I mediate everyday but before it became a habit, I did it as I sat in my bed while I was about to sleep. Some days I would be too tired to concentrate and would just fall asleep, other days I would be too stressed to fall asleep and the meditation helped and didn't feel like it ate away from my time.

Good luck. Stress is hard.
    Love this idea thanks for posting. Been trying to find a time to meditate
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's crazy!

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Everyone is different and you have to find what works. High intensity exercise is my favorite stress reliever
    as I am high strung and need to burn off energy. Yoga isn't for me. Do what works for you and take care of yourself even if you start small with a little time to yourself. You are not alone at all

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    "Before you begin, be sure that everything that needs to be done is done, and you will be uninterrupted for thirty to sixty minutes."
    BWWWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHA. If I have 30 to 60 uninterrupted minutes you bet your bippee I am either working, doing something around the house, or sleeping.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Um, yup, crazy ridiculous request.

I love the "stop, breath & think" meditation app. There's all different types of guided meditations to chose from (heal, resilience, sleep, be kind, etc). You can even do a check in quiz and it'll recommend which meditation to listen to. And most are ~10min long so easy to find time to fit them in.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.