Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the replies. Ds does have some kids he can play with in the neigborhood, but mostly because they are younger/less mature than he is, he doesn't do it that frequently. They're not into just going outside..and the weather is not great in the winter. When they were younger, I would direct them to things, but nothing really stuck. Neither kids has really gotten into legos. Dd will do crafts if she or I have a very specific ideas and all the right materials...but not just something she can pick up and do regularly if something she likes is not planned. With ds, I am not even sure if I should make this a thing or not...he reads a lot and is just as interested in reading as screen time...just doesnt want to read only, which I don't blame him for...he's also not home as much as dd, who is home after school. As far as mazes, crossword puzzles, etc, I think they might do them for a short while but then not anymore. Both kids did color penciling for a while, but tired of it. So, this may just be how it is here...I will say both kids are naturally physically active and just move a lot. Ds plays soccer from April-October and dd is not doing any organized sports, but somehow does keep moving.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

You know what, I don't care so much about the screen time. My kids work hard all week with homework. They have some activities, not a ton. They have friends, they do chores. DD does crafts, draws, paints, and rides her bike. DS loves his video games. Like all day Saturday. I am ok with it.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Play with the other kids in the neighborhood. Now that it's cold and snowy, they play inside. (But when the weather is decent, they like to play outside.). My kids would rather play with friends than on a device. We don't have that much downtime, as the kids swim 4 days a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Mine are are little younger, 10 and 8. They read, play games, puzzles, legos, sew, crafts, chores and play outside. I think screen time limits are still a good thing. So is being a little bored. They will think of what they want to do.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Mine also make stop motion movies using their 3DSes. They use Lego. It is somewhat screen time, but it is more active and thoughtful than just watching something.
    That's a great idea. My kids are younger, but love making movies with stuff (puppets and lego minifigures) and live action movies. Depending what device you have, there may be an easy program or app for them to use (like iMovie).

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure what I am going to do. On one hand, there is nothing else I need them to do. Both children get little homework and, while this is something I would like to supplement as I think it would benefit them both, I am not sure how I would do that at this point (something else to look into). They have never taken long-term to any of the interests described and I think that is okay. As I said, ds has soccer and dd is into choir and band.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    That's a great idea. My kids are younger, but love making movies with stuff (puppets and lego minifigures) and live action movies. Depending what device you have, there may be an easy program or app for them to use (like iMovie).
    The idea of making movies is something they could probably get into. We do have an ipad, so I guess that would be imovied? OTOH, I would not want my kids to post their movies, which may take away some of the fun and sets up a difficult scenario as they will want to.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kids are the same age. My DD doesn't have much down time as she gets home at 4:45 from JR. High and we have to get going to DS's hockey or her swim practice (3 nights a week). She loves to hang out with her friends, go for walks, ride her ripstick in the park with friends, go visit her friends, bike to Starbucks, and yes play of her phone (often reading or watching some show). DS plays outside almost everyday afterschool (he's home by 2:45) with his buddies, they walk from school, and play blitzball/basketball/football. If it's too cold they play at our house or his buddies houses down the street. Not much downtime for him, but the popular thing with all his friends is making video's on Musicly or youtube, and playing xbox LIVE sports games.

I feel fortunate that they are self driven to find things to keep themselves busy, and we have a wonderful neighborhood where their friends are close by.

Both kids have some chores around house and minimal homework (which I"m fine with).

Have you tried doing a screen-free week or two? Just take the screens away, maybe with a scheduled reprieve to watch something as a family, and see what happens? It does take practice to think about options, but it's probably better for your kids to find those options for themselves. Maybe if you just give them the opportunity to figure it out, they will. It may take a few days, though.

My kids are much younger than you, but my oldest spend way too time with his iPad, I felt. Once school started, I started the rule of no iPads in the mornings while getting dressed, breakfast etc. only get to have his iPad once in the car for our commute to his school (it's a 25 min drive, so I'm ok to have my boys use the iPad then)

He has swim lessons every Saturday mornings, and lax practice every Thursday evening after school. The rest is filled in with reading time, chores, and liked helping me prep for dinner. We usually keep play dates to the weekends only, cuz our school week is hectic enough with 7pm for his bedtime.

I'm a firm believer for kids to be ok with boredom. They need to learn how to sit, and amuse themselves for 20 mins, 30 mins at a time without pestering me to set up an activity. That's when they often reach out to long forgotten toys tucked away in the cabinets to play with. This is definitely something I'll be keeping up, now that winter is here. They love to play outside when it isn't raining or freezing with hats, gloves and jackets on.

Maybe set up reading project or art activity for them to do? Have a central space in your house to house all the supplies, where they can go to help themselves to a project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

mnj77 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

It sounds weird, DD (almost 10) has been spending a lot of time lately just bouncing a ball in the house. I don't know what she's thinking about while she does this, but it keeps her occupied for a long time! It drives DH crazy but somehow it doesn't bother me...Otherwise she plays with neighborhood friends a lot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast