Default How to organize a 60" master bed closet to fit everything? Rubbermaid?

We are building a house and unfortunately the smallest closet in the house will be the master bedroom closet - and we can't change that. So, it's going to be 60" wide, 24" deep, reach in closet with bi-fold doors. I really, really want to get rid of our dresser (currently holds: my unders, workout clothes, swimsuits, pajamas, DH's unders, long underwear, t-shirts) and put everything into the closet - to save space in our bedroom, and because we've never liked our dresser. We can store tall boots and coats in the coat closet, my wedding dress and formal gowns can go in DD1's huge closet, so our closet will just be our actual everyday clothes. We can also store out-of-season clothing elsewhere.

So, do you think this is doable (60" closet only, no dresser)? If you've done it, any advice? I've read a bunch of old threads and am leaning towards going with the Rubbermaid Configurations system, but am not sure which configuration will be most efficient. I will need a long hanging area for maxi dresses. I'd really like to add some drawers for unders/swimsuits/workout clothes but don't see that drawers come in the kit. Has anyone added drawers? What have you found to be the best option for jeans - shelves? Drawers? Something else? Are shoes on the floor fine or do you prefer having a shelf for them?

One perk is that we'll only be able to keep what we actually love and wear! DH is really good about paring his closet down, and I think I can be too.

Any advice or motivation is welcome, thank you!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would recommend the elfa system because you want to get the very most out of a small space (that's the size of ours.) what I like most is being able to go buy a new part or swap out something 3 years later, knowing another drawer will fit well. They also keep your configuration online, so you don't have to explain while looking for a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Elfa, Elfa, Elfa all the way. Previous owners installed it in our closets, which are the same size as yours (a luxury size in our 1950s ranch!) We quickly ditched the dresser, and everything fits mostly fine. I store off season clothes elsewhere and my dressy dresses in DS2's closet, but everything else fits. They will be able to help you set up the best configuration bad on your needs. Not cheap, but so worth it!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

I tried designing it with Elfa, but their online design tool said no drawers were possible in a 60" closet space. I wasn't really impressed with any of the few layout options they gave, and we don't have a Container Store anywhere remotely close.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm looking at IKEA's Algot shelves... not as good as ELFA but may be good enough for a couple of closets I want to have done. It's also cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I have Algot in my laundry room and Rubbermaid Configurations in 2 closets.
    Algot was pretty much a nightmare to install. If you do buy it, make sure to get the white box with an orange lid that is filled with screws and anchors. It should be somewhere in the vicinity at IKEA but not where it should be - right next to the Algot stuff with a big sign that says "you need these screws to install these shelves".

We *love* the Rubbermaid closets. One big bonus about them is that they are compatible with Elfa. So you can get all of the brackets and basic shelving installed with your Rubbermaid kit and then buy anything specialized you need from Elfa. We got both of our kits through Amazon Warehouse - they were the 4-8' size and cost less than $100. We have 4' closets but used almost all of the shelves and brackets that came with the bigger kit.

I found this blog post to be very helpful:
    http://realmod.blogspot.com/2014/05/...s-elfa-vs.html

This is the kit we bought x2:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In my husband's closet, we added the tie rack and the pants rack.

We had 2 shelves left over, and I was able to cut them with a bolt cutter to make them the size to fit with the Elfa system that was in our laundry room when we bought the house. If you look closely, you can see that it doesn't match exactly but it's a pretty good match.

editing to add: if you budget out the Algot system, make sure to account for all of the mounting pieces - like for each drawer you need the regular brackets you would use for a shelf, plus the runners for drawers. It adds up quickly! It took me 3 trips to IKEA to get all the right pieces for my small space.
    Last edited by candaceb; 01-07-2017 at 12:29 AM.

I vote for elfa. We have elfa in one closet ( from CL, with a few pieces like drawers from the store) and a Rubbermaid kit in another. Things I don't like about rubbermaid : feels cheap, don't like how the shelving overlaps (less flexibility in designing closet bc of the larger shelves vs 24 in wide elfa we have). Shelves aren't as deep as elfa. Not a problem now when they are little, but Will be down the road. Love my elfa drawers. I considered the rubbermaid but didn't like them.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another Elma fan - it's also industuctable. My neighbors have these special hinges on their hall closet and we will do the same once we get around to ordering it. http://jhusa.net/1601.aspx#1601HD_4-..._Hardware_Sets