Default Booster for 5 yr old under 40lbs?

We're traveling to Universal Studios in May with the kids. DD will be 5 but is a peanut and only 34lbs now, so probably not over 40lbs by then. We'll be taking a rental minivan to and from the airport to an onsite hotel, but we'll also have about a 20 minute drive in the same minivan to and from a family event on one of the days, so four minivan trips in total. I'm soooooo hoping I can just bring boosters for the kids, but I think the minimum weight limit for a booster is 40lbs. Is that right? DD's super well-behaved, so I'm not worried about her riding in a booster from that standpoint, but, of course, I want her to be safe. Do I need to lug the oppressively heavy Marathon Click Tight she currently uses at home? Our other option is a harnessed Frontier 90, also oppressively heavy! Is that 40lb weight necessary to use a booster safely? She's over 40", maybe 42" if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was just in a similar situation (4.5 year old on a weekend trip to NYC) and I decided to use a bubblebum for our taxi rides. He did really well sitting in it. Of course he went right back to his regular carseat as soon as we got in our car at the airport and luckily he hasn't mentioned using the booster again.

Both the boosters we have give a minimum age limit of 4 and a minimum weight limit of 30lbs., so by those limits, she could use a booster, but for some reason I have 40lbs in my head as the minimum for booster use. I know the bubblebum has a 40lb minimum, but we'd be using our regular boosters, which are bulky, but nothing like a Marathon!

The graco affix/ turbo booster are both 30+ lbs weight limit. I'd get one of those.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

So if the limit on my booster is 30lbs, it's legal AND safe to use it with her?

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    So if the limit on my booster is 30lbs, it's legal AND safe to use it with her?

Legal, yes. Safe depends on 2 things. How well the seat belt fits her in the booster, and if she will sit still and upright in it. Since this is a relatively short trip the odds of her sitting correctly are better -- even more so if an adult or responsible older child can sit near her and give her reminders as needed. You might try it on a couple of short rides at home before your trip just to make sure she does ok just in case
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Legal, yes. Safe depends on 2 things. How well the seat belt fits her in the booster, and if she will sit still and upright in it. Since this is a relatively short trip the odds of her sitting correctly are better -- even more so if an adult or responsible older child can sit near her and give her reminders as needed. You might try it on a couple of short rides at home before your trip just to make sure she does ok just in case
    I'm going to do a short trial run at home. As I said above, she's very well behaved, so I think she'll do well staying in position. The booster has a belt positioner I'll adjust before the trip (and readjust on site if necessary), so I'm hopeful that will help. I'm just nervous, because I have that 40lb number ringing in my head. She's not even been FF for a year, and she's never been out of a harness, so to leap to a booster is a big deal for me, and I'm worried.