Default Best anti-cavity toothpaste?

What kind do y'all recommend?

Honestly - diet is going to be the biggest asset in keeping your teeth healthy.

I don't necessarily think one toothpaste is going to be miles above the other.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Spry fluoride-free xylitol toothpaste. Our whole family switched to it 8 years ago and I haven't had a cavity since (I had 2 small ones before that as an adult using regular fluoride toothpaste). My children are 7 and 13 and neither have ever had a cavity.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've used Aim for 15 years, it's. 99 a tube. No cavities for me ever. Same with my kids.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I dont think one toothpaste is going to matter over another. What matters most I think is genetics. I feel like some people just have bad teeth (more prone to cavities) My kids have not had a cavity and they probably brush just once a day. I gave up trying to get them to brush at night.

Also, diet is big. My kids dont drink much juice. Except a juice box at lunchtime when they are at school. I dont buy any special brand of toothpaste.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Spry fluoride-free xylitol toothpaste. Our whole family switched to it 8 years ago and I haven't had a cavity since (I had 2 small ones before that as an adult using regular fluoride toothpaste). My children are 7 and 13 and neither have ever had a cavity.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

This looks interesting. What flavor do you buy, that the kids like? My son won't do minty toothpaste yet.

I agree that genetics is huge--DH takes much better care of his teeth than I do of mine, and he has a cavity at least once a year. I'm pretty sure I eat more sugar too...
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

The ADA recommends using a fluoridated toothpaste.

I recently attended a lecture by my former pediatric dentistry professor who stated that using a flouridated toothpaste reduces cavities risk by 50%. He also mentioned that drinking fluoridated water decreases cavities risk by 50%.

I would use xylitol (gum, mints, toothpaste) in addition to using fluoridated toothpaste. I would not use xylitol to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    This looks interesting. What flavor do you buy, that the kids like? My son won't do minty toothpaste yet.

I agree that genetics is huge--DH takes much better care of his teeth than I do of mine, and he has a cavity at least once a year. I'm pretty sure I eat more sugar too...
    If your DS doesn't like mint, you could also try Tom's of MAine Silly Strawberry (they have with and without fluoride) - it's my kids' favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post

If your DS doesn't like mint, you could also try Tom's of MAine Silly Strawberry (they have with and without fluoride) - it's my kids' favorite.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    I dont think one toothpaste is going to matter over another. What matters most I think is genetics.
    I completely agree!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie