Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thanks, all, this is really very helpful.

I want to keep us low tech and I don't want to push my seven year old into a tech world since so far we're living just fine without it! My kids get barely no screen time... they very occasionally watch a movie or show and we have an old iPhone with basically nothing on it that occasionally they play with. They also have leap pads that they use on car trips but I think the seven year old has outgrown it.

I kind of wonder, if we were to go the basic e-reader route, it would bug me that it doesn't have more capability. So maybe the Fire is a better choice and I need to learn more about how I can limit what's on it. We don't enable the wifi or leapfrog's version of the internet on the leap pads, so basically they just have a limited selection of "educational" apps (I say that a bit tongue in cheek since they're really just entertainment).

We have both a kindle fire and a plain kindle e-reader. If you want to read picture books the the kindle fire would be better but I hate reading a real book on the fire. It might be best to get both honestly - the e-reader just for reading and the fire (that you can control access to) for audio books and music, etc.

I read way more with the kindle. Check out your library or join a large Library for a fee. Also, if you are a prime member you can read certain books for free - I think one per month. If you take slow shipping credits, those can also be redeemed for e-books. There's also often daily deals for books, or there is Amazon unlimited and I believe all the Harry Potter books are available.

I have kindle paperwhite that I simply adore. I use it heavily as love reading books. DH got me the annual membership for kindle unlimited to get books for "free". Helped me save a ton from buying all the kindle books I buy. Between the membership and my library overdrive, I find it relatively easy to use and borrow books. Like pp said, wait times for my county library moves pretty quick, so it's never long for me. My hold/wish list is long, so I always add one to the wait list full. Can't help you with the music front.

Aside from that, we only have iPads mini for the boys to use. I load reading apps in DS1's iPad mini. I'll get him a dedicated ereader like my paperwhite when he's older, as that would be a device I allow him to bring out of house and in his bedroom. The iPad mini is only allowed in family room and in our car for long driving trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    The OP said they would like to listen to music & audio books Does the paperwhite do that too? I don't have one of that style.
    Definitely not, I mentioned that in my post. She also said she wanted a low tech kindle. I don't think it's possible to have both.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have a kindle keyboard (not made anymore- got mine from ebay) It had a text to speech option that is actually pretty good. I'm not sure if I could load audio books or music on it though.

ETA- a cheap MP3 player or using your old iphone may be a good alternative to needing a higher tech kindle.
    My 12 year old has a basic kindle he uses for reading only. We use an itouch for music.
    Last edited by kristac; 01-22-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    "Someday, I am going to go to bed without toys on the floor and sippys in my sink. Things will stay where I put them and I can have nice, fragile items on display. But when I do, I will look around with a wistfullness in my heart and miss the days where vibrant imaginations ran wild and there was evidence of life happening around me all the time!"

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by #2ontheway View Post

I want to keep us low tech ...

I kind of wonder, if we were to go the basic e-reader route, it would bug me that it doesn't have more capability. ...
    I have a paperwhite and this year got DD a basic kindle (the one linked upthread) for Christmas. I love my kindle as an e-reader and wouldn't trade it in for more capability- then it would lose the e-ink quality, which makes it easy-on-the-eyes to read. I can't directly compare to a Fire, but we have an iPad and I've also read on my iPhone, and it's not the same.

I still love books, but the great thing about an e-reader is being able to have a lot of books on one small device, especially for travel. On a week-long trip last summer, DD brought a stack of books with her but had finished them all by mid-week. I ended up downloading a book for her on my Paperwhite & letting her use that.

ITA that if you want more capability, I'd get two devices. It might feel wrong to spend the $$ on two things, but Amazon often puts both on sale.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also think you're looking at 2 devices. an ereader and either a fire you control or an mp3 player for the music/audiobooks.

I consider us to be a fairly low tech family as well but I have fires that I let the kids use. They are mine and I control the access. I've locked down the browser and wifi and only assign them apps I'm ok with them using. Is also make them tell me when they're playing vs reading. the annoying thing is I need to get the books and then authorize them to their user accts. adds an extra step. but I appreciate having the control and not letting them see my books so I do it.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

My kids all have mp3 players. they are Sandisk brand and about $30 each.
    Kris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3