Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    The low-tech version is the Paperwhite (well, there's the basic kindle, but it doesn't even have a light so you can't read in the dark). It doesn't play music and audio books (no speaker). Kindles are all just E-readers, period. (I have a Kindle Paperwhite, and love it. But we have iPads for tablets.)

The Kindle Fire is a tablet. It has apps and games and a speaker, so you can listen to books and music. It also has a forward and a rear facing camera. It's a completely different machine than the Kindle e-reader.
    Yes, you are going to have to decide if you want just the ability to read books or if the music/audio books is a must. My DS has a Kindle paperwhite and I keep it filled with library books. Amazon has great tutorials about setting it up for children. There is an "experimental internet" that I have disabled. He also has an iPad with the Kindle app so he can read on that. But we do not allow him to have the iPad in his room or take it outside the house but we allow him to take the Kindle anywhere.

The Kindle Fire is a full-fledged tablet with apps much like an iPad. It will do everything you want but will also come with internet access and the ability to download apps and games. There are parental controls but I'm not sure what you would be able to disable.

You could consider a basic Kindle then a basic MP3 player for music and audio books. The MP3 would need to connect to a computer to download music and audio books.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We're a low tech family. DS1 has a basic kindle to read books on. He also has an iPod touch for listening to books. DS2 has an old iPhone he uses for audiobooks. we'll get him a basic kindle when he starts reading longer books. The iPhone and iTouch don't have anything else on them unless we're traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We decided to get dd a kindle ereader and a fire. The kindle does nothing but read books. We place no restrictions on using this. For example we have a no screen time until homework is done and rule, but reading on an ereader is treated the same as reading on a book. She can also have it in bed.

The fire has games and internet and music . We have more rules about its use

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD has had a Kindle touch for 4 years. She can't directly check out library books - that requires a computer/tablet. She can directly but books/magazines from Amazon. This hasn't been an issue for her, but when DS1 was 2 or 3 he got into my Kindle one night and bought a bunch of stuff randomly including the 50 Shades of Grey audio book.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another low tech family here. Both DDs (8 and 10) and myself have Nook ereaders. Now that I know more about Kindle and how easy it is to put library books on them, I kinda wish we would have gone that route, but we stuck with Nooks because that is what I originally had (got it before Kindle started doing library lending). I use Bookbub.com to find free or cheap ebooks for us and also put books from the library on them. DD1 has a decent collection of freebies but its harder to find them for younger DD (our nooks don't support picture books very well and there are not many free lower grade chapter books available). They enjoy reading on them and kinda go in spurts of reading only on the Nook and then reading only paper books. They are nice when we travel, as we have a bunch of books already loaded to entertain them on long trips instead of packing lots of paper books.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and love it. I love the night light. If DD1 ever wants to start reading ebooks I will get this for her.

We are pretty low tech as Dd1 has an old iPhone 4s as an itouch and we have a family iPad Mini 1. I like that since I got my Kindle my reading is the only app that other than Wikipedia.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-21-2017 at 04:40 PM.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We recently got a Kindle paperwhite to try out the concept of reading ebooks in tablet format. Our reaction so far has been meh but that's because we put "learning" books on it. We recently loaded "story" books on it and I'm going to try and read. It's really weird, I LOVE to read and I suck down books but reading on the kindle has been kinda uphill for me. Part of it is I have a really hard time finding stuff I love to read in ebook format that I can borrow from the library. i tried borrowing an HP book for DD1 to try, but there's line for any one of the books as long as my arm. Very frustrating. One of the reasons for getting a kindle was so I would not have to buy books that I really just want to read once.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    We recently got a Kindle paperwhite to try out the concept of reading ebooks in tablet format. Our reaction so far has been meh but that's because we put "learning" books on it. We recently loaded "story" books on it and I'm going to try and read. It's really weird, I LOVE to read and I suck down books but reading on the kindle has been kinda uphill for me. Part of it is I have a really hard time finding stuff I love to read in ebook format that I can borrow from the library. i tried borrowing an HP book for DD1 to try, but there's line for any one of the books as long as my arm. Very frustrating. One of the reasons for getting a kindle was so I would not have to buy books that I really just want to read once.
    Many of the library books I request are out too but I find the queue moves pretty quickly. The longest queue was for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" and we were #34 on the list but it only took about 3 weeks to get it. There were multiple copies though. I have also had luck requesting books that they do not have yet in e-format and usually they get them in a couple weeks. One thing I have not tried is using another library. My county library is pretty small but for a small one time fee I can access a library in another county that is much bigger so you may want to try that.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The OP said they would like to listen to music & audio books Does the paperwhite do that too? I don't have one of that style.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Tell me about Kindles

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Many of the library books I request are out too but I find the queue moves pretty quickly. The longest queue was for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" and we were #34 on the list but it only took about 3 weeks to get it. There were multiple copies though. I have also had luck requesting books that they do not have yet in e-format and usually they get them in a couple weeks. One thing I have not tried is using another library. My county library is pretty small but for a small one time fee I can access a library in another county that is much bigger so you may want to try that.
    I have also had good luck with library Kindle books, once I figured out how to use the Overdrive website for our library. We can put up to 6 books at a time on hold, plus a virtually unlimited number (ok, 5,000!) on a wish list. I usually keep the hold list full, and regularly check the wish list to see what's available. Like mmsmom, I find that the hold queue moves pretty quickly. I haven't looked into other counties' libraries but my home county library is pretty great.

Definitely do not give up yet! I love my Kindle Paperwhite, and haven't looked back after I got used to the library site. I do buy some books, mostly things that my library is unlikely to get.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast