Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default mammogram irregular any insights? Update in #10

Went this am for a mammogram and the online system already has results.

"There is an asymmetry in the superior aspect of the left breast at posterior depth that warrants additional imaging evaluation. The Breast Imaging Division will contact the patient directly to schedule the diagnostic examination."

Any experience with asymmetry? From what I can tell it is a sort of vague dx that something is a little off. The posterior depth looks like up by the clavicle? The next step might be an ultrasound? I don't feel any lump which is good I think.

I've always had dense breast tissue so this part is not new
    "
    The breast tissue is heterogeneously dense, which could obscure detection of small masses."

Unneeded stress!
    Last edited by hillview; 01-27-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So I think this is common and creates unnecessary stress. I now go somewhere that reimages immediately. For me, I had to be imaged twice and then an ultrasound. Similar language as yours was used. Nothing was wrong. Stay as calm as you can and demand to get in before the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    So I think this is common and creates unnecessary stress. I now go somewhere that reimages immediately. For me, I had to be imaged twice and then an ultrasound. Similar language as yours was used. Nothing was wrong. Stay as calm as you can and demand to get in before the weekend.
    thank you. I wish they reimaged right away too! I am at Mass General which has 3D which is v good I think but the waiting isn't so awesome.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My mom just had a series of mammograms last year. I think at Beth Israel in Boston, but I could be wrong. Anyways, they did something like 3 mammograms, multiple ultrasounds and a biopsy and it all turned out to be nothing. Hang in there!
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had a similar situation on my first mammogram last year. They scheduled me back for more imaging and a possible ultrasound. I want to say I had to wait around a week or 10 days for the follow up appointment. It really helped me to read online how common this is. Second mammogram was fine, didn't need ultrasound. I don't think the first technician smushed hard enough, for lack of a better description. I even commented that everyone always says how uncomfortable it usually is, but my first one was not. The there was definitely a lot more pressure the second time around. Basically all that to say, I think there are a million reasons they could have to do a follow up. Good vibes and positive thoughts to you as you wait and P&PT that it's nothing.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ugh, so sorry for this stress, but definitely don't worry. I also have dense breast tissue and high family risk, and have had to go back for many a reimaging. All have thankfully been fine. Had one biopsy which was also fine. 3D is definitely better, but can can also cause more worry. My diagnostic center finally moved to immediate readings, and it is so much less stressful to get the additional screening done immediately. Maybe see if there is somewhere in your area that does this as well. They are abundantly cautious in reading the films with dense tissue, so it is definitely not uncommon to need additional screening. Big hugs, sorry that you have to deal with this stress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Also adding, if this becomes an issue each year, you can also schedule an ultrasound along with your mammo appointment each year. I do this, and this year I had the all clear and didn't need the ultrasound afterward. But, it is so much easier not to have to go back for another appointment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Definitely super common to need extra pictures or studies, especially with dense tissue. Try to not worry. I know it's super stressful!
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Just to add to the chorus - I also have dense tissue and have had two mammograms. At both I needed re-imaging multiple times but they did it at the same appointment and all was fine. It was nerve wracking though.

Thanks all. Like Charlie said I have dense breast tissue. Went in for what ended up being an additional mammogram. Then waited. Then went in for an ultrasound. Doc said it was different from my last image but looked like breast tissue. Going back in 6 months to make sure but seems ok. Thanks for your feedback and good wishes.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast