acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Head too high on car headrest?

My DD is 8.5, is about 53 inches and weighs 60+ lbs. She had been riding in a Britax Parkway in highback mode in the 3rd row of my GMC Acadia. She really wants to be in a low back booster and I would love that too so I could more easily move her seat to put the 3rd row down for groceries and other stuff. But now that we switched it to low back , I am worried about where her head is hitting as the headrests are those non-movable, sort of 1/2 headrests. Part of her head is above the headrest when she sits on the booster. What are the guidelines for this? And what are my options to fix this (given I'm guessing correctly that it is an issue)? Are their boosters that sit lower? Or do I have to move her up to the 2nd row if she wants to sit in a low back? (Currently we have an infant seat and another highback Britax parkway in the 2nd row captains chairs). My DS is not far behind her in age or size so eventually I will need to figure out how to make a low back work for one of them in the 3rd row!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I guess I'd also wonder, if an adult sits there is there head way above the headrest too?

I think the safest if you want to use the backless is to move her to the 2nd row, are the headrests adjustable in the 2nd row?

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

When we moved kids to backless, I found a few places that said to adjust the headrest so the top of it is at the top of the head. I'm not sure how to fix that without either keeping her in a high back until she's tall enough to go without. That should get you a bit of time. Or moving to row 2.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    My DD is 8.5, is about 53 inches and weighs 60+ lbs. She had been riding in a Britax Parkway in highback mode in the 3rd row of my GMC Acadia. She really wants to be in a low back booster and I would love that too so I could more easily move her seat to put the 3rd row down for groceries and other stuff. But now that we switched it to low back , I am worried about where her head is hitting as the headrests are those non-movable, sort of 1/2 headrests. Part of her head is above the headrest when she sits on the booster. What are the guidelines for this? And what are my options to fix this (given I'm guessing correctly that it is an issue)? Are their boosters that sit lower? Or do I have to move her up to the 2nd row if she wants to sit in a low back? (Currently we have an infant seat and another highback Britax parkway in the 2nd row captains chairs). My DS is not far behind her in age or size so eventually I will need to figure out how to make a low back work for one of them in the 3rd row!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

The head rest guideline for both adults and low back booster riders is that the head rest needs to come up at least to the top of the ears. If it stops lower than that it is not safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There are some cars that the headrests are really low that it's not possible, mostly older cars.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There is also the safety 1st incognito which I believe is the lowest regular HBB booster available - it may let you eek out another year or so at some point.