Default Next 5-point harness seat after the Evenflo Maestro?

Hello all, I just realized my 6-year-old's head is sticking out of the Evenflo Maestro. It's in Hubby's car and also is used for traveling and school field trips.

Are there any lightweight 5-point harness car seats that will fit my child? I don't remember his exact height but he's basically amongst the shortest of his class (maybe around 46"?). Or is it time for him to use a high-back booster? He's got a lot of room left in his main car seat (Grace 4Ever).

Thanks!
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

At that age, I'd just get a high back booster. We started with a HBB on occasion at age 5. DS1 is really small (46.5" at age 7), and he's done fine in a HBB (he's harnessed in my car, but booster in DH's car and for travel.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

You can convert your Maestro to a HBB.

My DS is 6 and 45" and harnessed in a Frontier in my car. I let him use a HBB for friends' cars and travel.

So with a high-back booster, it's ok that he head sticks out of the headrest?

Thanks.
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

Default Next 5-point harness seat after the Evenflo Maestro?

Quote Originally Posted by fumofu View Post
    So with a high-back booster, it's ok that he head sticks out of the headrest?

Thanks.
    The head rest still needs to come to at least the top of his ears (in high back booster and the vehicle head rest itself later on when he is in a low back or just a seatbelt).

Also, check your car seat manual to verify, but generally for forward facing car seats it is also the top of ears rule, not the top of the head. As long as the harness straps are still coming from at or above his shoulders and he hasn't outgrown the max standing height or weight for the seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Got it. Thank you so much!

And if I do end up having a buy a HBB, what are your recommendations?

Thanks again.
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not sure which are the lightest but this is a good list. http://csftl.org/recommended-seats/#highbackbooster