Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The narrator for the Harry Potter series also narrates the Peter and the Starcatcher series. Those are probably aimed younger (age 10ish?) but my family enjoyed them.

tamar is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

They might like the old twilight zone recordings. We devour them!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've been enjoying The Hobbit and will probably start Lord of the Rings next.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Anything by Wendy mass or try the "chocolate books" by pseudonymous Bosch.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

lines is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I think Gordan Korman's Ungifted and Schooled would be great for those ages. I listened to them on audio and enjoyed them.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I honestly cannot recommend "Harry Potter" highly enough!!! Jim Dale is BY FAR the absolute best narrator that we've ever heard!! I think he has the world record for the most voices in one book - I think he had over 130 different voices in the Order of the Phoenix!! Seriously amazing!! I'd been fed up with the music on the radio so I decided to start listening to Harry Potter audiobooks last summer. I RARELY turn on the music now...my music-obsessed 12yo DD requests HP the moment we get into the car! We are on our 2nd run-through now. If you listen to the series nonstop, you'd listen for 5 straight days!! He's just an AWESOME narrator, although the material isn't bad either.

ETA: We also have The Princess Bride. It is good but REALLY SHORT. I think it is only 2 hours in length.
    Last edited by SASM; 02-28-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    I honestly cannot recommend "Harry Potter" highly enough!!! Jim Dale is BY FAR the absolute best narrator that we've ever heard!! I think he has the world record for the most voices in one book - I think he had over 130 different voices in the Order of the Phoenix!! Seriously amazing!! I'd been fed up with the music on the radio so I decided to start listening to Harry Potter audiobooks last summer. I RARELY turn on the music now...my music-obsessed 12yo DD requests HP the moment we get into the car! We are on our 2nd run-through now. If you listen to the series nonstop, you'd listen for 5 straight days!! He's just an AWESOME narrator, although the material isn't bad either. ��
    We were so not fans of the audio HP! It went so slowly. But, I know most everyone loves Jim Dale. Just get a back up book in case your family is crazy like ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We were so not fans of the audio HP! It went so slowly. But, I know most everyone loves Jim Dale. Just get a back up book in case your family is crazy like ours.
    We didn't like it, either! Don't like that narrator at all...

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The UK version read by Stephen Fry is much better in case you run into it somewhere. I borrowed from a friend otherwise I would lend them to you!

pl804 is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

We just added Spaceman to our list. For non-books, we listen to a lot of Jim Weiss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2