gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Anyone using Finacea for their acne or their teen's?

Ds1 has pretty bad acne across his forehead. I took him to a dermatologist who prescribed a benzoyl peroxide wash followed by retinA. It didn't do much to the acne other than inflame it and make his skin dry and peeling. He went in the pool this weekend and ended up with a horrible rash on those areas. So I called the dermatologist again and he said to stop all that and prescribed Finacea. Id never heard of it. It's apparently used for treating acne and rosacea. Anyone familiar with it? Do you like it? Any concerns? I guess I'd just like to know more about it before letting my 13yo use it. TIA!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Ds1 has pretty bad acne across his forehead. I took him to a dermatologist who prescribed a benzoyl peroxide wash followed by retinA. It didn't do much to the acne other than inflame it and make his skin dry and peeling. He went in the pool this weekend and ended up with a horrible rash on those areas. So I called the dermatologist again and he said to stop all that and prescribed Finacea. Id never heard of it. It's apparently used for treating acne and rosacea. Anyone familiar with it? Do you like it? Any concerns? I guess I'd just like to know more about it before letting my 13yo use it. TIA!
    I've used it to treat rosacea. I found it pretty drying in the winter, especially on 40 year old skin. Have you tried a sulfur wash? I am pretty sure most are over the counter.

finacea is retinoid like without being a retinoid/retin a. it is approved to use during pregnancy so I would have no problem using it in that age group. it is milder than retinA, but you still need a moisturizer with it (which you should have been using with the retin a anyway). the foam is more tolerable than the gel, about 30% of pts say the gel stings.

As with all acne meds, the amount you use it and the frequency is the most important. for the gel, a pea sized is enough for the entire face, for the foam an almond sized amount. start off every other day increasing as tolerated to daily. it technically is fda approved for twice daily but rarely have anyone use it twice daily.

finacea is one of my favorites for comedonal acne and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (lots of data to treat hyperpigmentation although it is off label for that.)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd ask why they didn't prescribe clyndamyacin, that's what DD uses and I know others with teens have used it with success and its not drying like retin a.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

clindamycin only works on inflammatory acne, if it is comedonal ( which is what retin a treats) clindamycin doesn't help.

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My dermatologist prescribed Finacea for me. She said I had acne around my chin/mouth. Honestly it was something I didnt notice, but she noticed with her magnifying glass. Her assistant later told me she hated when this doc would point something out to people that no one could see with the naked eye. Oh well! Anyways, I never used it but since it was for Rosacea, my DH decided to give it a try. He had redness and bad acne around his nose, chin, forehead. He used it for a short time and he hasnt had acne in years! He was amazed. It was like a long term cure for him.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've used finacea multiple times for rosacea. It worked very well for me and I did not have any negative side effects. You don't need to use a lot.

It was not drying for me and I have dry skin.

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I use finacea for Rosacea and the acne it began to cause. Eventually, I got a white cream version which I like more than the gel because it's not as drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you so much everyone! This has been very helpful! Cckwmh, based on your very helpful advice, our pharmacist is asking our doctor to change the prescription to the foam. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this stuff works. Thanks again!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Thank you so much everyone! This has been very helpful! Cckwmh, based on your very helpful advice, our pharmacist is asking our doctor to change the prescription to the foam. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this stuff works. Thanks again!
    there is a copay card for the foam. you can get it online.