Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default When a fever breaks in the middle of the night

Do you send your child to school the next day?

I know the rule is 24 hours fever free, and I really really try hard to stick to that, but I wonder what others *really* do. When you're standing in the kitchen arguing about who has to take the day off, deal with the stress of rescheduling meetings, chipping away at the limited sick days....do you always wait the 24 hours?

Here's the back story for today and why I'm here asking.

DS had a fever yesterday, rested a lot, but was otherwise symptom free. He went to bed at 5pm with a fever of 101.5, and it broke at some point after 9p.m but before 11:00 p.m(when I went to check on him in the middle of the night, he was fever free). He woke up after 13 hours of sleep, and ate breakfast and appeared to be fine. DH and I struggled with whether or not to send him to school. DH couldn't take the day off, so it was up to me. I was really close to sending DS to school ( although DH thought that I should keep him home), but in the end, I kept him home. He is of course acting like his normal self and begging to go back to school. Part of me is kicking myself as I only get 4 paid days off during the year, and this sick day feels "wasted."

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I believe our school changed the rules because the AMA no longer requires 24 hours after a fever. Now, so long as fever free you can go to school.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would not send to school in that situation.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I believe our school changed the rules because the AMA no longer requires 24 hours after a fever. Now, so long as fever free you can go to school.
    Really?

Our daycare has the 24 hour rule, and I will send him after 20 hours or so without feeling too bad about it (as long as he isn't still miserable), but I don't think I'd do it if he still had a fever at bedtime. My exception would be something like an ear infection when I knew the fever wasn't caused by something contagious. Then I would probably send him as long as he seemed to be feeling ok and didn't currently have a fever.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Default When a fever breaks in the middle of the night

I would not have sent him. Sometimes fevers reappear in the afternoon. I would be okay if the fever broke 12 hours before than...like in the late morning...so not exactly 24 hours but pretty close. In his case, it's not even 12 hours.

ETA: I had a similar situation where DS1 was sent home with a fever at 3PM. Had a fever at bedtime, but it broke at some point around midnight. I didn't send him to school the next day. He was totally fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I would have sent him. If they are acting like their normal selves I send them all the time.

I need to save my sick days for when they are really sick. Single working mom here, so they have to suck it up buttercup and go. I can lose my job if I take too many days off.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Nope , wouldn't have sent him. Too many times they act fine in the morning and then start feeling worse hours later .

Ann

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Really?
    I am pretty sure. I haven't needed to try the new policy but I know others who have.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have two kids with flu a right now (yes, they are on Tamiflu) and the ped made it very clear that they have to be 24 hour free before returning to school.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast