Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Which Dog Breed?

DH and I have decided it's time for our family to become dog owners...exciting!!! I have owned a cat about 20 yrs ago; DH has owned a dog (for about 2 yrs before it had to go to his mom b/c his son was born very prematurely). I grew up with Black labs, but always at the home I wasn't living at (ex. at my dad's when my mom had custody; at my mom's when I was off to college). So, we are fairly "new" to this.

I think I have it narrowed down between a Cavapoo and a Whoodle. I have been around both a lot, and like them both but obviously haven't lived with either for any good amount of time. We are looking for a small to medium, low-to-no shedding dog, not hyper (obviously after the puppy stage), friendly - esp to kids as ours are 5 and 7. I do plan on putting a lot of time into training the dog. It will not sleep in anybody's bed. We have a good-sized yard and will install an invisible fence if needed. If you have experience w/ these breeds, which do you recommend? ****PLEASE do not suggest adopting from the shelter. I know that's preferable, but it's honestly a crap shoot as to temperament and health, and we are 100% more comfortable as first time dog owners getting a specific breed.****

Thanks!!
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

So a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/poodle mix and a something else poodle mix?? Not sure what the mix is there. I could give more info if I knew. Plus--it really comes down to the parents and the breeder. Have you found reputable breeders?
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm curious about the Whoodle! DH and I are considering a dog, too, and have tossed around Cavapoos and Golden Doodles. Today we learned there is a breed of Labradoodle that is miniature (they use sperm from a toy poodle to inseminate a labrador, and voila, tiny labradoorish dogs?).
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My mom breeds Cavachons King Charles Spaniels and Bichons They are really nice dogs Mommas are Bichons Send me a message on what you want to know what I cant answer I'll find out for you. My sister has a Cavapoo. I have 2 yorkie rescues that happened when we were waiting for my moms dog to have a litter or I'd have a Cavachon
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Have you found reputable breeders?
    IMO Reputable breeders dont breed mixes. A CKCS is a much smaller sporting dog. Wheatons are in the 50lb range and are terriers. Do you want a larger or smaller dog? Do you want a dog who is more apt to follow your every move and be a 2nd shadow or a dog who is more independent? Personally, I think that sporting dogs are better for 1st time owners than terriers. (Yes, I know this is a HUGE generalization). But, with that age kids, I think I'd go with the larger dog. Smaller dogs tend to be more delicate.

Also FWIW, I'd never use an electric fence with a CKCS - they tend to be too soft personality wise and they're small enough to be prey to hawks etc.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I haven't heard of those mixes....I am sure they are adorable, but the problem is that you are mixing a lot of genetics and Joe's Whoodle will be vastly different than Bob's Whoodle. Which is just fine - I love mutts, but they are free at the Humane Society and a bit tricky when you have a lot of requirements that need to be met. I would look at recognized breeds that fit what you want. It will be much less of a crapshoot.

My recommendations would be a Pug, Miniature Schnauzer, Miniature Poodle...those are trainable, intelligent, affectionate, low shedding dogs. The Pug would be best for low exercise needs.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Tibetan terriers are totally hypoallergenic like poodles and are medium size, ours is very sweet and clever,

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have an Australian Labradoodle. She weighs 32 lbs and is so sweet natured. If you want a poodle mix, consider a multi gen Australian Labradoodle, since you'll have a better idea of the size/temperament, than with an 'earlier generation' mix.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Make sure the poodle in the mix isn't a standard poodle. My parents have 2 labrododdles and they are 80lbs and 100lbs....absolutely huge.

We have a rescue we think is a havanese. He has the look, temperament and prancing walk. He's very chill, nothing fazes him and doesn't bark.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you are set on going for a specific breed, I would absolutely look for a reputable breeder of purebreds. Like PPs have mentioned, Whoodles etc aren't recognized breeds. They are fancy mutts. And there are SO MANY PEOPLE out there breeding these fancy mutts, claiming to have parents of good temperament, etc and can make you believe they are reputable breeders...but they are really just making fancy mutts for money. There are NO recognized guidelines on temperament, form, etc for fancy mutts. A friend of ours got a mini golden doodle or something like that and the dog looks nothing like they expected, and they paid thousands to a "reputable breeder".

There are lots of no/low-shedding purebred dogs you could look at.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast